Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks nice. The corner beveling and golden ratio, only apply when the size of the box is larger than the highest wavelength that the driver in the box will be used at, for subwoofers that are used under 100hz all the box "sees" is preasure changes the box dosn't have enough room to "see" the whole wave. So all you need to worry about is wall flex under preasure, so as long as your box is solid, it looks pritty good so far, it's non-issue. A 100hz wave is 11feet long so as long as your largest dimention is well under half of that your fine. Moderate stuffing should control any artifacts or other resonances.

In short don't worry about the golden ratio, and I wouldn't bother with the bevels on a subwoofer. Just biuld it solid:bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The Funk is right. I wouldn't bother with the bevels. It would be more work than it is worth and you would lose some enclosure volume. It would look kind of snazzy though.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Admittedly I was trying to get to snazzy looking as well. I have not really decided how to finish it off as I don't like plain looking boxes.

As far as poly fill is concerned what what would be the proper amount? light, medium or heavy? I already bought the 5 lb. box of poly from Wal-mart.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I haven't had the time to do any sanding or routing on my cabinets on the weekend and the weather at night has gone down to about 35-40 in the garage so after work is out.

I decided to just try out the subs as is until the weather cooperates. I put one together last week and really liked the results and I just finished putting the second one together tonight. I posted pics of one below.

I am not really sure how I will finish the cabinets, probably a bevel on the corners. I will probably use the big circles cut out from the 18" passive's for grills for the front. If I do the circle grills then rounding the corners would probably fit the theme better.
I am not crazy about the design but the 18" passives really limit what you can do. I did design a octagon enclosure but the cuts would have to have been so precise that I decided to try it during the summer when I am not as busy.

I will just finish these off nicely and make new nicer looking enclosures later. I do think they will look really nice once I can take my router to them but I just want to make something unique rather than a plain box. Oh well, at least MDF is cheap:bigsmile:

I will take more pics once they are finished but that will probably be awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought I would post a quick update to this thread. I did put both subs together and gave them a listen and the results were great! The size of the enclosures though are not going to work for my area and I have decided to just make smaller sealed enclosures and use the (2) 18" passives for a single box utilizing the TC-3000 15" I also have.

The enclosures are going to be used though as my brother heard the pair and wants a sub now too. I will combine the enclosures but use a single 15" with probably the (2) 18" passives which I will order more of. Not sure exactly how to do it but when my brother heard the pair stacked on top of each other he could not stop grinning:bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone who helped on this especially Nathan from Funkywaves who I will buying more from in the future.

If you have been contemplating this build I would recemmend it wholeheartedly as it sounds fantastic. The dimensions just don't work in my room or I would finish it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Just a quick update:

I sort of abandoned this project a few months back when the size of the pair turned out to be too big for my room. The subs did sound great though.

I did sell one of the TC2K's but kept the other to use in the future.

I decided to return to one of my original cabinets and try the large bevel I had been contemplating before I went in a different direction. Here are the before and after results:

Before pics with the drivers mounted:

My idea when I was not satisfied at how plan the cabinets looked:

Cut and beveled after shots with extra bracing added inside:

As you can see in the photo's I also added a bevel to the front to try and cut down the surface were the 12" would be mounted.

I am not really sure if I will paint it or possibly skin it with some left over 1/4" Birch Ply that I used on a sub I made up quick for my brother below:

Was not crazy about adding a bar grill but my brother really wanted it and it looks better than I expected:

Any tips would be great and thanks for all of your help thus far.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts