Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well It has been finished for about 2 weeks, but I just wanted to share the build here.
I had a close friend of me build it, he is very well known in the car audio competition scene, hes name is chad geary his stats are here.

I am VERY pleased with the results. I designed the box he just did some minor adjustments to the design and what I find weird is my box is nowhere the size of some of hte other tc sounds build... It's actually smaller. but it plays down to 18 hertz at 126 dbs no problems in my 1000 cubic foot room.

It doesn't have any port noise even with the ep 2500 at full tilt playing a 15 hertz test tone.

Before this I was using just my def tech tower's sub's. This is leaps and bounds better then those.

BTW pix to come in next post..

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little on the box, I didn't use any polyfill or anything like that inside the box. From my car audio experience that only hurts output and sometimes it helps sq, sometimes.... I took out all the 90 degree angles inside the box, another car audio trick and glassed the inside of the box, yet another car audio trick for maximum output.

Oh yah here is the other side of the room. (yah my surrounds suck lol)

A little to much bass huh :) (the surround wasnt on the second screw but I fixed that but the water tank moves no mater what)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks as though you've got a bit of a peak happening at around 18HZ .I wonder if that is a room induced peak or a tuning problem or a measurement anomoly? .That peak could be fun though.

Jason

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Looks like a well constructed box.... :T

I notice with your REW graph that you are showing no compensation for the soundcard and meter. Do you have the calibration files loaded correctly for those two items? It can make quite a difference in the results.

With a sub, it's usually best to sweep out to 200Hz and match the horizontal scale to that 10Hz - 200Hz scale.

Do you have a BFD equalizer to tame those peaks?

brucek

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like a well constructed box.... :T
Thanks
I notice with your REW graph that you are showing no compensation for the soundcard and meter. Do you have the calibration files loaded correctly for those two items? It can make quite a difference in the results.
I didn't mess with any of the compensation at all, I think... lol its been a while that I had it, When I first set it up, I set it up to meter within the .5 db of my old termlab spl meter and used the termlab, I was thinking of using the termlab instead but its a $200 upgrade and for something I rarely use and plus my friend has it with the rta feature so I rather not. On the termlab while metering it after the box was done it also peaked at 18 hertz, and with the rta feature on the termlab the results where very similar with actually more of a peak around the 10 hertz range.

With a sub, it's usually best to sweep out to 200Hz and match the horizontal scale to that 10Hz - 200Hz scale.
Ya I heard 200 hertz also heard 100 hertz but I just wanted the sub for 15-45 hertz bass, I have my tower subs handling the higher notes.

Do you have a BFD equalizer to tame those peaks?

brucek
I don't but heh I dont mind the 18 hertz peak lol

If you look closely you will notice that the fr is only +-3 dbs from 20 hertz to 45 hertz which is not bad at all. Just that 18 hertz has a peak but it isnt to bad and who doesnt want subsonic peaks :) :yay:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What size box did you end up with...? Also what are the length & size of your ports...?
I'm curious as well.

I lucked out on a pair of the TC-2000 15's before their price hike and I was looking to go IB, but after reading up quite a bit on LLT designs with the tc2000 15's, I'm thinking maybe that's the way to go.

Problem is, I don't see many design specs.

Ideally, I'd like to have them in two seperate boxes and it seems 6" ports are standard for the LLT, but I don't know what length to use or exterior/interior dimensions. :dunno:

For the boxes I'd like to have them long with the port and the driver on the same face for the cutouts in the room. I'm guessing I'll have to add elbows to the ports as I can't have the driver/ports on the "end" of the box.

Any suggestions?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm curious as well.

I lucked out on a pair of the TC-2000 15's before their price hike and I was looking to go IB, but after reading up quite a bit on LLT designs with the tc2000 15's, I'm thinking maybe that's the way to go.

Problem is, I don't see many design specs.

Ideally, I'd like to have them in two seperate boxes and it seems 6" ports are standard for the LLT, but I don't know what length to use or exterior/interior dimensions. :dunno:

For the boxes I'd like to have them long with the port and the driver on the same face for the cutouts in the room. I'm guessing I'll have to add elbows to the ports as I can't have the driver/ports on the "end" of the box.

Any suggestions?
Mines is tuned to 17 hertz so it really isnt an LLT. I figure their is very little program material below 20 hertz even in movies and I cant even hear the material anyways so why tune so low. The bigger the box I go with just to tune lower would equal less output in the end also. Maybe modeling says different but is not the case in my experience's, especially with the power I am running with this sub.

I

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines is tuned to 17 hertz so it really isnt an LLT. I figure their is very little program material below 20 hertz even in movies and I cant even hear the material anyways so why tune so low. The bigger the box I go with just to tune lower would equal less output in the end also. Maybe modeling says different but is not the case in my experience's, especially with the power I am running with this sub.

I
Out of curiousity, how big is your box?

Any idea what [email protected] you'd get in a larger room? ... something like 25x16x9?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of curiousity, how big is your box?

Any idea what [email protected] you'd get in a larger room? ... something like 25x16x9?
6.5 cubes, after displacement. I dunno how loud it would get I have no clue :( I tried asking a couple of friends how much db my sub would drop when I put it in a dedicated ht room that will be bigger then my current 1000 cubic foot room but they say its one of those things you cant predict. I am gonna guess and say in a 2000 cubic foot room that is also sealed like my current room it might drop off 3-5 db from the 126 db at 18 hertz that it does now. If it drops more then that then I am doubling everything and switching to the FI audio q's since the tc subs are to expensive now.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
6.5 cubes, after displacement. I dunno how loud it would get I have no clue :( I tried asking a couple of friends how much db my sub would drop when I put it in a dedicated ht room that will be bigger then my current 1000 cubic foot room but they say its one of those things you cant predict. I am gonna guess and say in a 2000 cubic foot room that is also sealed like my current room it might drop off 3-5 db from the 126 db at 18 hertz that it does now. If it drops more then that then I am doubling everything and switching to the FI audio q's since the tc subs are to expensive now.
I've seen the same "I don't know" kinda answers in my searches to predict output in a given room as well.

That's another problem I have in my setup is my room isn't sealed. It's open to the kitchen and dinning area and also to the hallway to the bedrooms so it's very leaky. I envy my father's situation as his livingroom is so efficient, he gets by with an old reciever powering one Pyle 15" sealed and it sounds better than my previous setup of (4) 12's running off an adcom gfa5500! :explode:

I was getting somewhere around ~90db at 20Hz with my old setup. I've been searching and searching ever since trying to get to my goal of (clean) [email protected] With this LLT design it sounds like I may be in luck! :hail:

Thanks for sharing!
I envy you guys enjoying all the deep bass you want ... Some day (soon?) I hope to join along!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts