Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just received a used TC Sounds 3000 DVC 15" sub with the black cone. Bought it from this guy at Ebay (he bought the sub on may 2007), and looks to be in great shape. It cost me $300, including shipping. I plan to install this sub on a 3.75cf wood ply sealed enclousure this coming saturday. It will be powered by a Lt1300 plate amp and ED EQ2, hope to have pics soon. Looking around I found this old TC Sounds site with the specs for this driver; Qms 7.30, Res 4.24, BL 22.60, Mms 365, cms 140, sd 0.0820, vas 131L, fs 22, Qes 0.42, Qts 0.40, spl 87.18, 2000 watts rms, no xmax found. From some of the readings I've done on this sub it is supposed to be high inductance, sometimes has a hump around 50-55hz and has a frequency dropp off after 70-80hz. Could this be the specs of my driver? This driver is supposed to have a high BL, but it is not showing it here, is this good or bad? Also, I've read that this driver is suppose to be really good at low bass but not so good at higher bass. I plan to crossover my speakers at 80hz but would be nice to have a crossover option of 90hz or 100hz. For comparison purpose, I also found this TC Sounds 3000 "QVC" 15" sub with the titanium cone specs; Qts 0.30, Qes 0.32, Qms 6.10, Fs 22, Res 4.63, Ls 9.2, BL 27.1 (quite a bit higher), spl 88.6, cms 140, mms 373, vas 146, xmax 30mm and 2000 watts rms. I thought the only difference with the QVC was the wiring options. Finally, just to compare, here are the Audiopulse Axis 15" sub specs; Qts .40, Re 4.7, Fs 22, cms 135, vas 126L, mms 390g, BL 26.2, Sd 0.082spl 87.4, xmax 30mm and 2500 watts rms (more power handling capability). I thought all these subs parameters were closer to each other than what I found. Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have a TC-3K 15" DVC in a sealed 3.6 cu. ft. enclosure.

What they say is true that I do have to tame a peak in the 50's and a lower crossover point is probably best (I use a 80hz x-over and it is fine with me)

I really love the sub even with all these problems. I am missing some mid-bass but the overall performance is great IMO.

I am hoping to start on a new box for the TC-3K using 2 CSS 18" passive radiators in a 5.5 cu ft box which should be around a 15hz tune if I remember correctly. I will lose even more midbass I figure so I am also going to build a second sub which will be focused in the 35 to 40hz and up range. I really haven't figured out the midbass box yet but I am so far away from the build I am in no hurry.

Your going to love the TC-3K

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Look here under the Audiopulse section. Measured parameters for the Axis 15 can be found there for use in WinISD.

I have built an Axis 15 in a 5 cubic foot sealed cabinet for a friend. Using a bridged EP2500 the Axis which was amp limited had about 5 times the output of his old Servo 15 v2.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The short lived DVC TC-3000 did have a lower BL. That's why it was sold at a discount compared to the QVC version. It has half as many voice coil windings in the magnetic gap compared to the QVC.

I'm running a pair of 15" QVC top assemblies (wired at 2 ohms each) with Lightning Audio neodymium motors in 3cf sealed boxes. They are powered by an EP-2500 and EQed with a BFD. I used Tony Gomez's PEQ spreadsheet, test tones that match the frequencies on the sheet and an SPL meter to graph my response. Yes, I had to EQ out the the 55hz hump. I also added a little boost down low. I'm pretty flat down to 17hz now. Output is downright scary when it needs to be.

Dan Marx has a nice set of plans for an TC-3000 box - link.

-Robert

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you guys brought this thread back up again, just in time as I was ready to post some first time impressions of the TC 3k 15" sub I finished a few days ago. It was a pain to get the sub in my sealed enclousure since the baffle opening was made for a CSS SDX 15" sub which was about one-third of an inch smaller (flush mount), so I had to sand for several hours to get the hole bigger and fit the TC 3k sub. Anyways, like sub_crazy said, I do love this driver although it is not perfect. Its response from about 60hz and down is simply awesome. Its mid-bass is very good but not awesome. It blows away the SDX sub in the under 60hz bass (same size box for both 3.75cf sealed and same power ED LT1300 plate amp), but in the 60hz-100hz, the SDX sub has better response. Here are some test tones I did with this sub (9ft away, no eq., 4,500cf room and crossover with the speakers at 80hz); 10hz-66db, 15hz-95db, 20hz-102db, 30hz-105db, 40hz-111db, 50hz-111db, 60hz-106db, 70hz-96db and 80hz-91db. I will sue the ED EQ2 to trim a few db's from the 40h-50hz area but will not bump up the 15hz-20hz area since doing that will decrease the power of the amp, specially on the upper frequencies, right? As you can see, above 60hz, it drops off quite a bit. Overall, I do like this driver over the SDX sub. Like sub_crazy, I'm thinking of adding one extra mid-bass sub (must be sealed due to space issues) since I only have Omnisats Mirage v2 towers for the front (55hz), v2 center (70hz) and v2 surrounds (70hz), I like the sound but lacks some mid-bass punch. I have been thinking of getting a Hsu MSM 12" sub, maybe building something with a pro 12" driver, perhaps building a Infinity Kappa VQ 12" sub (from the readings, I like that it has good SQ which I like for mid-bass) and then getting crossovers (filters) to blend the system together. I also have a Velodyne HGS 10" sub that has great SQ but a broken amp. I can fix it (including shipping/handling) for about $300, is it worth fixing it and perhaps use it as mid-bass in my system? If I get the Hsu mid-bass sub and place it up front it will have to go inside one of the big cabinets in my big pine wall unit, door open, port facing out, will these set-up affect the sound of the Hsu sub? As Robert_J mentioned, the DVC version of the TC 3K sub has lower RL vs the QVC version, is that good or bad? What is the difference in response between those two versions? Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The lower BL version that you have is just that. It's still has a motor that is much stronger than most. You are just fine with your design. I think in two properly designed boxes that most couldn't tell the difference between a DVC and QVC TC-3000.

If you want to go with an "upper bass" sub then look at a TC2+ based sub or something from AE Speakers.

-Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts