Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Last monday (07/01) I received the parts I order from parts express and built my first diy subwoofer.

In particular I built a box of 70 Liters of internal space (from this you have to exclude the space occupied by the driver) for a TC Sounds 15" Quad Axis.

Here are some pictures and the project:

http://i.imgur.com/jBkBoZF.jpg
http://www.decapitate85.com/salotto/Deca15/Sub6.jpg
http://www.decapitate85.com/salotto/Deca15/Sub11.jpg
http://www.decapitate85.com/salotto/Deca15/Sub12.jpg

It tooks me two days to find out the problem:
The thing is that the motor is completely demagnetized and therefore cannot let the driver move. (I even asked to test it before shipment because I live in Italy, but nobody at PE did)

See a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc5qjUfkR0&feature=youtu.be
(sorry for my poor english)

After my initial compliant, Parts Express checked the last batch of TC sounds they received and they are all defective (motor demagnetized), so now it's two weeks that I'm waiting to receive a replacement..

TC Sounds promised they would have sent a new one yesterday, I wrote them asking confirmation of shipment, but neither TC sounds nor PE replied to my email. I don't know if that's the way they deal with clients..

When I bought it, I thought that TC sounds would have been a good product (considering its price it MUST be!!), but I'm starting to be really doubtful. Have they always been built in China?

I think also it is really very disgraceful the fact that a whole batch arrived to PE demagnetized, do they perform quality checks at least on some samples?

I cannot even ask for a refund since I lost a lot of time and money to make a box purposely built for that driver. I'm really angry and disappointed.

I'm discussing it also on an Italian forum and some people, who just ordered some dayton are jocking out with me that they spent half as much for a product which is working correctly and with almost the same characteristics (speaking about 15" ultimax, it has even better figures on the paper than 15" quad axis).

What do you think and what are your experiences?
I see a lot of building here made with TC's, does any of you noticed a lower quality production lately?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. I know TC Sounds has had problems in the past with quality control but a demagnetized motor is a real mess.

I have personally been lucky with all my TC Sounds purchases which has probably been about close to 20 or so over the years. I still have a 15" TC3000 15" which is the same as the Axis 15" you have and one of my first TC purchases which works great after almost 6 years or more.

I believe all of the TC Sounds subs are made in China now. They use to be made in the US and I have heard some production may return to the US but I don't know if or when.

I am sure TC Sounds and Parts Express will make this right for you, it unfortunately might take some time if it is a problem with the entire line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tc just replied that they did ship yesterday the new motor..later today they say they will send me tracking info. Let's hope..

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I am crossing my fingers for ya buddy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's a real bummer, but you have to remember that an international shipment can become a real headache real quick due to the increased variables required to get your item to you. I've personally never had a problem with PE and their customer service is great.

Hope your tracking number tells you it's on the next plane to Italy! Nice build :T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm afraid it will take a lot. TC shipped the package with USPS and they didn't even put my contact number on the parcel receipt. I read on Italian forum that USPS, differently from private couriers will use local post offices and it is a mess to find the parcel once it arrives in Italy...I hope everything will be smooth

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm afraid it will take a lot. TC shipped the package with USPS and they didn't even put my contact number on the parcel receipt. I read on Italian forum that USPS, differently from private couriers will use local post offices and it is a mess to find the parcel once it arrives in Italy...I hope everything will be smooth
USPS is definitely more of a pain to track, though the US postal service is rather efficient. I've been surprised more than once when shipping via USPS by how quickly I've gotten something in the mail (granted I live in the US, but still, I've heard similar stories internationally (btw I worked for UPS in my youth and sent items this way once in a while)).

Hopefully this is true with your shipment! Good luck :T

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here is the email I jsut sent to TC Sounds and PE in cc:

I just managed to get more information about USPS parcels and I’m not happy at all. There is a thread on Italian ebay forum of 84 pages with people having troubles and receive the parcel luckily in a month from the date of shipment, if they are unlucky after 40/60 days or they never receive it at all.

The fact is once the parcel arrives in Italy it cannot be traced, it is delivered to a custom office (you cannot know which one), it will stay there for about 5/7 days before someone takes it in charge.
They will check if there is some invoice or document related to the value of the good inside the package. If they found it they prepare the documents for the payment of duties and ship the good to destination and it will arrive in another 7/10 days. (So in this case the package will arrive in 20/25 days).

If there is no documentation they call or they send an email to the receiver who will have to prepare a declaration regarding the content and it’s value. (In this case it will take about 30/35 days).

The worst scenario is when they don’t have any document supporting the content, and they don’t have an email address or telephone number of the receiver (which I understand it is my case, please correct me if I’m wrong, I’m praying I am), so in this case the package will rest 5/7 days at an unknown custom deposit, someone will loose some day to write me a normal postal letter (5 days to arrive at my address) asking for the documents related to the content and it’s value, I will immediately revert, they will make the parcel depart in other 4/5 days, and in other 3/4 days I will receive my goods (In this case it will take from 40 till 60 days).
Sometimes, if they don’t find the contact number or email they don’t even bother to send a letter, and they abandon the package.

This morning I wrote an email to the Italian central post office giving my telephone number and attaching the receipt you sent me, hoping that some blessed soul will find my package as soon as it enters in Italy and contact me to haste things up, but I already know there is a 1% possibility it could happen.

When PE shipped what I ordered it was sent with UPS which in 4 days was knocking at my door, UPS has its own custom department and everything was smooth and fast.
Was UPS courier so much expensive than USPS and why you didn’t put my contact number, which I gave you along with the address, on the shipping receipt?

I hate to be that polemic, but after all what I’m going through waiting more than a month (or even 20 days if I'm lucky) is getting even more frustrating.
Please consider also that next Sunday 28/07 I will depart for vacation and will stay out of Italy until 05/08, so if they try to contact me by letter I won’t have any chance to reply earlier than my return (therefore I will be
anxious for all vacation). I’m already sure that things will go this way because everything is very well explained here:

http://community.ebay.it/t5/Fare-af...Italia-pacco-spedito-da-USA/td-p/4362/page/84

and it is plenty of feedbacks of people with these problematics.

I know that now you cannot do anything, but I would like to point out my total disappointment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The motor finally arrived yesterday and the sub seems to work pretty well (did not have time for test which I will do this evening). I'm really happy, thanks to TC Sounds and PE.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Glad to hear everything got to you in one piece! 10 days - that's not too bad considering all the potential shipping problems you described other people having. I look forward to seeing how the sub turns out.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Glad to see they came through for you, PE is really a customer oriented company and TC makes some of the best subs around.

Please let us know how your further testing goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is simply amazing, fast, precise, it fill the room very well.

Here is the measurements in comparison with my previous stage (with 2 sunfire hrs 12):

1 - 14 of 14 Posts