Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read with great interest this old post: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/44315-tc-sounds-epic-8-builds.html
I must say that I would like to make it as a subwoofer pc and I also saw these passive 8 of dayton audio http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/295-492-dayton-audio-sd215-pr-specifications-46183 . pdf

Do you think you can make a speaker with the tc sound epic8 and a pair of passive?
I simulated wiisd but I could not get any good because I can not even use the program well so I ask help to you thanks.

Greetings from Italy and sorry for my not perfect English

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't say :D

The Dayton SD215 PRs are far too small and inadequate to be practically matched with the Epic 8. You'd need something like two APR10s (with 750g added to tune to 26Hz).
Thanks for your answer first fusseli.
I must say that your project is very interesting and I would like to make it happen.
Question do you think you can do this project with two passive.
My idea was to put the two passive side in front of the sub and the amplifier module behind, do you think it possible?
You could do a simulation winisd I do not know very well use the program.
Thank you and warm greetings from Italy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I then made of the simulations with two passive APR10s with a mass addition of 850 g of each passive for a total of 1700gr total.
As you can see, the result is similar to that of fusseli who used a single driver with a passive mass added by 450 gr.
I somehow doubt that he did everything right place the file for corrections and suggestions.
Thank you and greetings to you all from Italy.

N.B It seems to me that the answers are overlapping but changes the tuning frequency of 25.65 Hz which is

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you have seen I have not calculated any size of digital amplifier, as I thought I did puncture the structure of the cabinet not to lose rigidity what do you think?
I forgot if I'm wrong correct me on something.
Greetings to you all from Italy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just happen to see this on a car audio forum the other day. Four Epic 8s and dual 12" PRs. Looks kind of cool, now if only I can find someone to build it for me. :D
Hello this project was on the site tc sound if I remember correctly.
It seems to me a great subwoofer but I want to build a small sub to use with my satellite you on my pc and then I would at best reduce clutter.
A friendly greeting from Italy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just one question. Why? A good 12 or 15 would outgun all those 8" drivers and cost far less.
Yes, you're right, but personally I would like to build a small sub high performance to match to my satellite system I have on my PC.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i think small subs are so cool.its always funny to have a small sub that can bang hard.people always look at it like that thing isnt nothing.then when ya crank it the look on their face. you get the point its absolutely hilarious.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yes, you're right, but personally I would like to build a small sub high performance to match to my satellite system I have on my PC.
Well, I was specifically referring to the sub posted immediately above mine with 4 8" drivers and two 12" PRs.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Looks like you have it about finished, then. I would lower tuning (add a little more mass) to get rid of the slight hump you have near 29Hz. I would also re-arrange your drivers so that the two PRs are on opposite sides of eachother.

And... ya. Four 8" drivers with two 12" PRs is asinine at best. Stick to your .5cuft single Epic8 idea ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like you have it about finished, then. I would lower tuning (add a little more mass) to get rid of the slight hump you have near 29Hz. I would also re-arrange your drivers so that the two PRs are on opposite sides of eachother.

And... ya. Four 8" drivers with two 12" PRs is asinine at best. Stick to your .5cuft single Epic8 idea ;)
I corrected the hump that appeared around 29 hz adding mass to the passive for a total of 2000 g (1000 g each).
What do you think can you go?
A cordial greeting to all of you from Italy.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In post #4 you uploaded a project file. If the PR's are the APR10's then you have the wrong Sd . It is 320 cm2, not 466 cm2. You also have 1700 grams of mass added to each PR, the maximin is 1200 grams of mass to each PR.
We thank Mike I noticed too that there is something that does not convince me indeed when I'm going to fix me back to the sd 466cm2 do not understand why.
Can you give you a look and please post it in case proper thank you.

PS I mean the total mass spread over the two passive 850 grams each for a total of 1700 grams total something wrong?

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts