Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a relatively new driver, with impressive specs. It's power handling and excursion are pretty much comparable to a JL 8W7 although the T/S params are quite different. Has anyone made anything out of them? I guess the recommended box is small and sealed, but that's not any fun unless someone bought this as a car sub.

This is the only build I've found, biggish & vented:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/44249-small-but-mighty-tc-sounds-8-epic-finished-build.html

Here's my idea, I really wish I had an excuse to build it. This driver seems to be perfect for a tiny sized passive radiator build. LOOK at this, in 0.5cuft with a 10" Scan-Speak PR tuned to ~26Hz, it reaches an anechoic f3 of 24Hz. With a 500W plate amp (w/ rumble filter below 20Hz), that PR, 105dB of output and 24Hz out of a tiny half a cube sub? Wow. It's a Sunfire for a fraction of the $.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The PR is the Scan-speak Discovery 26W/0-00 10":
fs 10.5 Hz
Qms 15.2
Rms 1.2 kg/s
Mms 425 g
Cms 0.55 mm/N
Dd 24.4 cm
Sd 466 cm^2
Vas 170 L
Xlim 28 mm

Would 450g be too much mass to try to add to the cone? That's the only drawback... I wish there were some beefy 8" PRs out there, two of which might be better than this single 10"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That particular PR is $116 USD on Madisound.

The Epic 8 sub is $143, a 500W amp would be $200-$300, so it'd be around a $500-$600 build.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There is a build thread that was just posted a few days ago titled "small but mighty" he did a set up with two 8"epic drivers in potted enclosures. They look incredible!!

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the same results as you using a pair of CSS APR10's, the advantage would be the PR's will cancel each other out if they are mounted opposed to each other. Hmmm, I think I see a computer sub in my future!
Brilliant. I need to start thinking about checking CSS, I usually look through PE and Madisound and stop searching! How would you orient the drivers? The PRs side facing opposite eachother, and the Epic 8 down firing? Or maybe Rear firing with and external amp?

This is a prime candidate for a sub build for my bro-in-law, he's had his eye on Sunfires for years now and this I'd consider to be a very strong DIY contender. I can't get over the idea.... 104dB+ & 24Hz f3 from a 0.5cuft cube!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I built a sealed enclosure for under the seat of my friend's Silverado extended cab meant for two 8w7. I modeled it against the epic 8 and the w7 was 3-6db above the Epic all the way up to 120hz if I remember correctly. (This was also my first run with the software so take it with a grain of salt). The w7 is more than twice the price though. We are still looking at the TC sounds - kind of waiting for someone else to try it out first in a sealed and auto application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts