Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm building a bafflewall and my 18" woofers won't fit into it. Thus, I am considering building some 12" subs. I'm restricted in depth, as to not steal too much living room space.

I'm torn between the LMS R 12" or the Epic 12". Basicly it is either 8 x 12" epics into 4 x 100 liter cabinets or 4 x LMS R into 4 x 50-100 liter cabinets. Budget is the concern here.

I could always upgrade down the line and add more LMS-R's.

I did consider passive radiator design as well, but cost goes up on that as well.

8 x Epic 12" does seem good on paper.

SQ comes before output.

I already own a 18" Maelstrom and a 18" LMS Ultra. These 2 subs will be positioned in the back of the room.

Bafflewall space is:

10 inches deep and 40 inch high and about 200 inches wide.

There will basicly be 4 compartments of 70cm wide x 100cm high and 25cm deep.

Suggestions?:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Internal depth is 8 inches. I can change this a bit, but every inch eats into our living room, so wan't to keep it as shallow as possible.

Both the Epic 12" and LMS-R 12" are around 18cm deep. Leaving 0.8 inch "breathing space behind the pole.

Thickness of cabinet is 0,75 inch drivers will not be flushed, but the subs will be covered by 2 inches of acoustic dampening materiel. The subs will be flush with the baffle though.

I'm modelling like a mad man here. I did look into LLT as well. I can build the subs as high as 90 inches high and 20 inches wide.

So basicly is it:

0,75 inches (back of cabinet) + 8 inches (internal depth) + 0,75 inches (front of cabinet) 2 inches (acoustic material) + 1.2 inches (fabric covered frames) Total depth around 13 inches.

Just a real quick sketch to get a sense of the baffle:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc67gaccout4heq/bafflewall.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changed it all to inches.

The LMS-R 15 inch is just too big/deep. I would've used my own 18", but they will simply make the bafflewall too intrusive into the living room.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok.

Does the CSS SDX12 outperform the Epic 12", which is cheaper still?

If going with a ported design:

Could the port be in one side of the cabinet? Since I'm restricted in depth.

With 8 inches deep cabinet and needing a 8 inch port(?) it could run on one side of the cabinet and be 7 feet high if need be. I would place woofer in the bottom and then port out up top.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SDX12 is nearly 1" deeper than the LMS-R unfortunately, however around 100 dollars cheaper.

I didnt mean to build a 7 foot long port. I just mentioned that I can build a high cabinet that would fit a long port if needed.

My concern was, given my restriction in depth, that a port would be unpractical to install.

I have 5 "slots" to put sub cabinets into.

3 of these slots can have a net volume of around 8 cubic feet. (HxWxD = 90"x21"x8")

The remaining 2 slots can have a net volume of 3.5 cubic feet. (HxWxD = 38"x21x8")

These measurements are not totally set in stone, bafflewall hasnt't been build yet so there is wiggleroom.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will get whatever power they require. Currently have 2 behringer EP4000 amps, but I am considering the Inuke 3000 DSP also. Two of those in fact, fan modded.

Basicly I would like this new sub system to perform atleast as good as my current two 18" subs that are in 3 cubic feet cabinets each with their own behringer amp to them.

I'm looking to spend no more than price of 4-5 drivers if LMS-R 12" or 8 drivers if using the Epic 12". On top of that 2 more amps.

I'm modelling in WINISD at the moment, but I find the port tuning/adjusting tricky.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Try this. 2 LMSR12's in 7 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. power input is 1700 watts with a HPF at 18 hz.

The iNuke 3000DSP has a HPF at 20 hz but with the DSP it has been reported that it can effectively be lowered to 18 hz with the use of boost and filters.

The porting would be square, 8" deep x 5.5" wide x 37" long. Port air speed is maximum 28 m/s. This can be built into one side of the cabinet. You will want to have the port exit close to the driver.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok.

The dual 12" LMS-R has about 10dB headroom at 20hz compared to one sealed 18" in WINISD. That is pretty significant!

However once we reach 40hz, the 18" start leading with a maximum of 3dB headroom in the upperbas. Group delay is about the same until going below 30hz.

I think maybe two of these towers with dual drivers in them would be enough for my 75 cubic feet room really.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes.

I have my 18" subs on either side of the room in the front right now. The respons at the seating area is really good except for a 35hz peak room mode.

Here's a sketch of the room and placement of the new subs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft07iqu85jl1iyg/skitseforslag til bafflewall foran med lærred rullet op.jpg

Don't mind the 18" depicted. Gives an idea of the project.

Here's just a quick paste of those high subs into the wall:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cs1ra2lrvcat26s/skitseforslag til bafflewall foran med 3 super subs.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Possibly yes.

It's hard to predict behavior of the bas, but in theory that should yield the smoothest response.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts