Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... So this is sort of DIY. I accidentally (Yes, really accidentally) ordered a TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" sub from PE. (It was in my cart after I logged in to order 2 more 18" TC Sounds VMP for my passive radiator build and I didn't see it...) So... rather than ship it back at my expense, I have decided to do a test build with the Parts Express DIY Pro 18" Birch Cabinet.

My main goals are musical bass with excellent control that digs deep.

A couple notes on the enclosure. I do NOT trust the single thickness baffle and I think the bracing leaves a little to be desired. Since the front baffle is recessed, I plan on adding another 22 x 22 x 22 piece of baltic birch plywood to the baffle to make it double thickness. I also plan on adding additional cross bracing from side to side and top to bottom locking together in the center of the enclosure about 12" back so as to clear the motor. I figure with the additional bracing and the stiffened front baffle, it could be a very easy upgrade to a decent enclosure.

Here is a link to the enclosure:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-328

Thoughts?

I will be driving this most likely with a Crown XTi 4000 amplifier since the CE4000 is going to be running the home theater subs.

Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tower of TC Sounds! These are all 4 passives for the home theater subs, and the LMS Ultra 5400. My youngest is almost as excited as I am! He knows when I am getting ready to build something and he is always right next to me with a screwdriver! I also got the flat pack PA enclosure. I will open it when I get home from work tonight. Check out the quality of the birch...

Don

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I will be driving this most likely with a Crown XTi 4000 amplifier since the CE4000 is going to be running the home theater subs.

Thanks!

Don
I built a 6+ cubic foot MDF sealed box for the LMS and drive it with the Crown XTi 4000. They make an awesome combination.
The XTi has the HiQ PEQ system and with it, you can create any response curve you desire including down to 10Hz.
I'd be interested to hear the difference between the XTi and the CE4000 driving the LMS into the infrasonic region.
Let us know when and if you will do that comparison.

The LMS will challenge the box even with your extra baffle and bracing. The LMS is truly a monster driver.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I built a 6+ cubic foot MDF sealed box for the LMS and drive it with the Crown XTi 4000. They make an awesome combination.
The XTi has the HiQ PEQ system and with it, you can create any response curve you desire including down to 10Hz.
I'd be interested to hear the difference between the XTi and the CE4000 driving the LMS into the infrasonic region.
Let us know when and if you will do that comparison.

The LMS will challenge the box even with your extra baffle and bracing. The LMS is truly a monster driver.
I certainly can perform a comparison between the 2 amps. I like them both. I use them both in my PA rig. The XTi 4000 for my mains and the CE4000 for by sub.

I can't wait to break into everything!

Don

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Don, I am sitting at work literally drooling at your TC tower. I wish I could convince my wife that I "accidentally" ordered a new sub like that! LOL

Maybe if I just browse the manufacturers sites carelessly something will fall into my cart and I'll have to build something new. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started the construction of the sealed build tonight. Once I mocked up the enclosure, I found I could fit 2 additional 3/4" plywood baffles on the front instead of 1. So now it will have a triple baffle instead of a double :). I will post pics tomorrow, but I should have the assembly done tomorrow and then I can route out the mounting hole. Beefed up the enclosure looks like it is going to turn out pretty nice.

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK. The box is built and curing today. I finished it last night. Like I mentioned, I ended up with a triple baffle and I added a lot of cross bracing. I had my first experience with a router and things went well! I used a flush trim bit to match the 2 additional baffles to the original. Overall, I think the enclosure is MUCH stronger than it was when I started, and the investment in additional materials was less than $50. Pics as promised. Again, sorry about the phone pics, but it is what I had :) Please excuse the kid mess, it was hard enough with all of them running around :)

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will probably mount the sub tonight. I will be using a Neutrik Speakon NLT4-MP connector on the back for the speaker wire connection.

Not sure on the finish yet... Anyone have any ideas? The other subs I am building are furniture grade Baltic Burch, and I think I will be staining those. Not sure on this one. I suppose I could veneer it, but I have never done that before, so I wouldn't even know where to start :)

Don

·
Registered
762 Posts
You could also do something like a vinyl wrap. Satin blakc baffle and a satin finish carbon fiber vinyl would look killer in my book. Or vise versa

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where would I go for something like that? Could you point me to some pictures of something like that?

Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
762 Posts
You could paint rattle can the baffle after you prime it with a few good coats as far as the vinyl your could contact your local sign shop that make vinyl banners or you can get it on eBay. I did a few car parts a few weeks ago with the 3m di-noc carbon fiber vinyl and it came out great. All you need is a heat gun and an applicator and your good to go.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well... The sub is complete.... This thing is no joke!!! I am totally blown away. I played the obligatory "Bass I Love You" just for fun and because I wanted to see what the sub could do. Some of those notes are scary! I haven't even pushed it all the way yet, and I am not sure I can :) I need to EQ it in the room, but it isn't bad going by my ear. I will be taking some pictures this weekend, I am very busy the next 2 days. I have decided to leave it naked for the time being... Mostly for $$$ reasons :) I will finish it later...

I have run it on both the Crown XTi 4000 and the Crown CE4000 with a DriveRack PA+ doing the processing. Both the DR and the XTi were set to the same EQ and crossover settings. (I only run the DR with the CE amp) The CE4000 I think had the slight edge, but it was running on 110V at the time... Last night I wired up 220V circuits for both XTi 4000 and the CE4000... The CE4000 makes about 800 more watts on 220v... It turns it into a CRAZY amp! The XTi is just more efficient from what I hear on 220V. The CE4000 was causing my power conditioner to indicate a low voltage condition during heavy bass hits, where the XTi was not. I should be able to try and play with it some more this weekend. For now, I will just listen to some music for the next couple days with a silly grin on my face!

Don

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Interesting comparison (CE400 and XTi 4000) IE: old school vs new technology.
My guess is that the XTi maxes at about 800 watts at around 20Hz and looses some power as the Hz moves toward 10Hz.
Were you running the amps bridged or on one channel/side?
Did the fans ever activate on the XTi?
The XTi can be made to boost the low end with the HiQNET PEQ. Did you run it flat?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Interesting comparison (CE400 and XTi 4000) IE: old school vs new technology.
My guess is that the XTi maxes at about 800 watts at around 20Hz and looses some power as the Hz moves toward 10Hz.
Were you running the amps bridged or on one channel/side?
Did the fans ever activate on the XTi?
The XTi can be made to boost the low end with the HiQNET PEQ. Did you run it flat?
I ran both amps bridged mono with the sub wired for 4 ohms. I ran the following EQ and crossover on the low end to help bring up the sub 20Hz since the filters stop at 20, but with the wide Q, the filters apply below 20Hz, you just don't see it.

Butterworth 1st order (6db/octave), 20Hz Crossover
Parametric EQ, Q .94, 20 Hz, 4 db gain

Other than that, it is flat right now.

The fans did come on with the XTi. But I run it in my basement so I don't hear them.

The CE4000 is a different amp altogether. It was the test bed for the "Class I" used in the iTech amplifiers. It is basically the same amp as the iTech 4000 without the DSP. It supposedly makes 3600 watts down to 20Hz!!! The Class D amps don't have the same cajones as the Class I :)

I would be interested to know if the XTi makes more power down low on 220V versus 110V. I don't know if anyone has ever tested that. I can tell you that when I switched it over last night, it was definitely more powerful overall on the 220V... Subjectively, it was better.

Don

1 - 20 of 50 Posts