Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone. Would anyone know if TC Sounds is out of business? Looked all over and I cant find any lms ultras for sale. Not that I have the money for another one right now but later on down the road I would be interested. Is there possibly a new line coming out? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I seem to thought that same thing - Parts Express only has a select few models that they sell and I was looking for a smaller one for my brother when he finishes his basement. I thought about the DA Ultimax series, although prolly really good for the cost but prolly not the same level.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you could do a couple SI 18's. good price and good results. There a lot cheaper then the lms. but like they say there's no replacement for displacement.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
What about a UXL-18, or an HST-18?
Seems like the Ultras are getting harder and harder to find these days, with hardly any news, except rumors of them going out of business.

If I hear of any I'll be sure to post.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I think I just need to upgrade to a more powerful amplifier for now. I'm sure in a few years this technology will be surpassed. I know of a lmsu in Washington and that's where I'm headed on the 20th this month. Not sure I can afford it at the moment but I have been know for making bad choices before. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me. Is a crying shame at this point. 4 si 18's probably would have been the way to go but I always want the best and now it seems I shot myself in the foot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
TC Sounds is selling direct now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi ht-core,

have you managed to contact TC-Sounds? I would also be interested in an LMS Ultra, perhaps we could share shipping costs? Where are you from?

Regards,

Florian

·
Registered
2 Posts
From TC Sounds' preferred retailer Parts Express:

All TC Sounds products marked as "Clearance Items"​

TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer - "This Product Is No Longer Available"​

Parts Express staff member Matt P. stated the following:

"Unfortunately the TC Sounds products have been discontinued."​

I assume he meant discontinued from the Parts Express inventory.

Which he followed a few months later by writing:

"TC Sounds will only sell direct so you will have to buy from their website."​

It appears that Parts Express is currently offering RE Audio and AuraSound 18-inch drivers as alternatives to the TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer.

In addition, here are a few of the latest comments posted on the TC Sounds Facebook page*:

Mike Silverthorn‎ (March 27 at 4:33pm)​

Are you guys going out of business or are you getting ready to release some new products? I hope the latter is true cause you guys make some sick drivers! Great job hope you guys keep making world class subwoofers and I absolutely love my epic 12!​

Martin Zidek‎ (April 6 at 7:55pm)​

So any updates?​

William Brack‎ (June 9 at 11:19pm)​

are you guys still around?!?!?!? loved your drivers, and would love to get more...​

Leon Smith (June 28 at 8:30pm)​

Any updates?​

Andrew Apple (July 1 at 4:44pm)​

so its seems as if tc sounds is closing up shop silently. nobody to answer the phone, email goes to a black hole. im just curious if we are going to see a new run of product or if this was it.​

In light of the comments so far I truly hope this is nothing more than a 'renewal' of sorts as it was, more or less, circa Audiopulse 2007-2008. (I hope this does not portend something more serious like that which happened to Acoupower, et al.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for your detailed answer! - The situation doesnt seem that well. But I dont care, I found funk audio, they seem to produce woofers of a similar quality, have a look!

Florian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funk Audio, whose origins began primarily as a custom woodworking business, is a turnkey loudspeaker manufacturer; they do not sell separate audio transducers of which they now appear to be manufacturing for their systems. So for those of us that prefer to design and build our own loudspeaker systems Funk Audio is of little use. Nonetheless, there remain a few worthy alternatives to TC Sounds' high performance LMS Ultra 5400 18" subwoofer drivers.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Thilo who is the owner and engineer of TC sounds is a brilliant designer and I would think he will be back.

If you want something that would seriously put out a lot more output and sounds great then the SI 24" is hard to beat. I owned a pair of LMS Ultra's in the past and they were the best SQ subs I have ever owned but the SI 24" is close and the displacement is on another level.

I hope TC sounds comes back in a huge way, probably my favorite mfg of subs ever since I got into DIY. I am so impressed with the SI 24" though, without a direct comparison it is hard to say which is better but from aural memory it is very close.

I would say that there is no way I would do an even swap with my SI 24" pair with a pair of LMS Ultra's, I might think about it for 4 LMS Ultra's for my SI 24" pair though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts