Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TC Sounds Custom Pro 5100 (Ferrite Magnet) with Dual 18" VMP Passive Radiators

I am proud to say I have started the process to build my dream sub! Here are the specs...

TC Sounds Custom Pro 5100 18" Driver (Ferrite Magnet)
Dual TC Sounds 18" VMP Passive Radiators each with 2200 grams of mass
9.042 Cubic Foot Box tuned to 16.03Hz (25x25x25 Internal Dimensions, double thick 1.5" baffles for the driver and passives)

I was originally planning on using a Pro 5100 driver and doing a 7 cubic foot box, but came across a DEAL on 2 Custom subs, so I jumped on it. I also bumped the box to 9 cubic feet. The short of it is that the subs are a Pro 5100 top assembly with a Ferrite Motor instead of Neodymium.

Attached are the WinISD files. (I stole the start of this from Endesereth. Thanks!) I have one with less moving mass on the passives... Still trying to decide, but that is the beauty :) I can play with it! I will be updating these files with the specs of the Custom subs soon.

Let me know what you guys think of my plan and any insight would be great.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coincidentally, I was just working on High pass, Low Pass, and Parametric EQ. :) I will upload those files here in a minute.

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, here are the updated graphs and the updated files. For some reason it looks like the EQ and filter parameters are not saving correctly to the file.

They are...

Highpass - Butterworth, 4th Order 15 Hz
Parametric EQ - 60 Hz, Q = 1, Gain = -3 db
Lowpass - Linkwitz Riley, 4th Order, 85 Hz

Let me know what you guys think...

Orange is 2200 grams on the PR, Green is 1520.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bet your glad you ordered it when you did, I noticed they raised all the prices on the TC sounds products.
The PRO 5100 is now $1270:yikes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah! Almost all of their prices sky rocketed! I didn't order the VMP which I should have. Now I am fighting with a business on eBay shipping them to me at the price they had listed at Buy It Now. Very frustrating. I am still trying to locate some 18" VMP that aren't close to $300 a hit! If anyone has any, let me know!

Don

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah! Almost all of their prices sky rocketed! I didn't order the VMP which I should have. Now I am fighting with a business on eBay shipping them to me at the price they had listed at Buy It Now. Very frustrating. I am still trying to locate some 18" VMP that aren't close to $300 a hit! If anyone has any, let me know!

Don
Good luck on your findings, I see that you already saw the ones that were for sale at the shack so im pretty sure you will get them:T
Cant wait to see your build when the speaker comes!:bigsmile:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck on your findings, I see that you already saw the ones that were for sale at Home Theater Shack so im pretty sure you will get them:T
Cant wait to see your build when the speaker comes!:bigsmile:
Looks like somebody beat me to the 4 here on the Shack :( I am waiting to hear back from the seller though. I was first in line, but the shipping was a little high and I paused for just a second too long....

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, there has been a slight change of plan, but a good change I think :) I am now picking up a pair of custom TC Sounds drivers. The short of it is that they are a Pro 5100 top assembly, with a custom TC4HP ferrite magnet motor hand built by Thilo Stompler. It is a lot like the motor off of a LMS Ultra 5400. I think it was a killer find at a great price. And I will have a pair of them so I can build a second sub later! I will post pics of them here once I pick them up. Hopefully it will be next weekend!

Don

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well, there has been a slight change of plan, but a good change I think :) I am now picking up a pair of custom TC Sounds drivers. The short of it is that they are a Pro 5100 top assembly, with a custom TC4HP ferrite magnet motor hand built by Thilo Stompler. It is a lot like the motor off of a LMS Ultra 5400. I think it was a killer find at a great price. And I will have a pair of them so I can build a second sub later! I will post pics of them here once I pick them up. Hopefully it will be next weekend!

Don
sweet:D post pics, I wanna see it, and tell us what it sounds like compared to the PRO 5100 NEO

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like I am going to be picking up the drivers this Sunday afternoon. VERY excited! I ordered 2 18" TC Sounds VMP passives today from PE and the cabinet design is almost done. I am having someone with a CNC cut it all for me. It will be much cleaner that way! I can't wait! It will now be done significantly BEFORE my previously anticipated date of August 3rd. And now the wife has finally agreed to partially finish the basement! It just keeps getting better!

I will post pics once I get the subs.

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I picked up both drivers this afternoon. Will post more pics tomorrow. Should have the enclosures Saturday.

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK, these aren't much better, but they are mine :) Thats a 2 Liter!!!! Please excuse the mess :) We are getting ready to finish half of our basement and things kind of exploded!

Don

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just free aired them to make sure everything was working properly. They worked well :) I can't wait to get these things in a box with the passives and really let them shine! The nice thing is that they are dual 1 ohm coils so it presents a 2 ohm load to the CE4000 which gets me 1800 watts per channel on a 220v circuit :yikes: I will be pushing the CE4000 about as hard as it will go!

Don

1 - 20 of 47 Posts