Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 12" TC 1000. I found a spreadsheet with TS parms, but would like to hear recommendations from others. I would like to build a sonosub, if this driver would work. I'm also interested in amp power recommendations.

Thanks

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I have the 15" version and have been very happy with a sono setup. At 12" it might be hard to get LLT performance, but it's a great driver and will do well in several different types of enclosures.

What are your design goals?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
SD is 471cm
xmax is 24mm
Xmech is 37mm
400w rms .should handle 800 to 1000w thermally with actual program material. My 10" TC1000 runs off an 1100w amp in a small sealed box in my car with no problem.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Actually the SD is listed as 490cm by TC. The 471cm figure is what I came up with to match the MMS, CMS, FS figures. Either way. These are nice all around drivers. High SQ with good displacement and build quality.

The 12" is hard to port. It likes a medium small box, so getting enough port area is a problem with a low tune. 4.4ft tuned to 17hz looks great with about 625w. You could do a slot vent that is 24sq" area or more and bends in the enclosure.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I modeled 5 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz. Since you want to do a sonosub, you'll have to be creative with the porting. To keep the airspeed under 26 m/s you'll need a 5 inch diameter port. A 5 inch diameter port will give you enough room between the end of the port and the back of the sub, if you use a 16 inch diameter tube. With a 4 inch port the air speed is to high, with a 6 inch port the port length is to long for a sonosub. I'm not sure if sonotubes come in 5 inch diameter. If not you could build a square port with the same surface area.
The sub will handle 650 watts with a subsonic filter at 15 hz. Here's the SPL graph of the modeling.

TC Sounds.JPG

Here's a screen shot of the Sonosub software showing the dimensions of the modeled sub. The TC 2000 sub was in the database in the software, I'm assuming your subs mounting depth would be close to what is shown. The internal diameter of the tube is shown as 15.5 inches which is what a 16 inch tube would be.

sonosub.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts