Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally...the twins are in the box and loosening themselves up...a few hiccups here and there, but initial results are impressive...particulars on the sub:

5.4 cu. ft. net internal /opposite side firing, sealed enclosure

2-TC-3000 15" drivers

1.5" walls

2.25" baffles

7 internal braces (.75", 2-inch spacing)

1" foam lining...not stuffing

24 x 24 x 29.5" external

ep2500...2 channel...each driver wired for 1.4 ohms Res

fbq2496...2 shelving filters for .5Q curve...20 Hz/.182/+6.5 dB...130 Hz/.182/-7.5 dB

linear in-room to <10 Hz
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

some performance at 3.5 meter LP (C-fast max hold/ sealed room):

Star Wars II fly-by (30-50 Hz range): 118 dB (120-121 dB corr)
119 dB (121-122 dB corr) clipping

Master and Commander (ch4/ 2nd cannon) -16 MV: 118 dB (120-121 dB corr)
(30 Hz barrage) 119 dB (121-122 dB corr) clipping

*when that second cannon shot goes off at ~120 dB !:blink :eek:

Black Hawk Down (Irene) : 107-108 dB uncorr (7-18-32 Hz signal)

*LOTR Sauron hits Isildore/Isildore hits rock 120 dB uncorr
Bilbo "ring drop" 121 dB uncorr/-9 dB MV
122-123 dB /clipping (xmax in reserve here)

* ear plugs for the whole LOTR test...

War of the Worlds (lightning strikes) 120 dB uncorr/121 dB clipping
(pods emerge) 115 dB uncorr

The Incredibles 22 Hz "crush" 117 dB/uncorr
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, it seems that the max before clipping is about 118-120 dB (uncorrected).

The ep2500 seems limited and i may pick up another and rewire for 3.5 ohms Res...i don't think it's getting to full 1200 watts per channel...as per Kyle...resistance should be about 1.82 under operation, but is variable, of course...that said, there is'nt much more room for improvement at this power level, maybe 1-2 dB at most...i would need to move to quad 15" for the next "serious" upgrade...

No change in the sound signature from the .48 Q single box...definitely cleaner at louder levels though...Enya's "The Longships" and Tricky's "Broken Homes" are very tight, along with the growling synth lines in Depeche Mode's "I feel loved"...silky smooth...

So far, so good... ;)

pics below:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Now that's a Subwoofer.:holycow:
Nice work on the box kramskoi and good to see all that bracing in there .And that TC 3000 is an awesome looking beast.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Woah, that turned out much better than I expected :p! Awesome job. Hope its everything you wanted it to be and more! ;) Maybe your next upgrade will be a second Ep2500?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Woah, that turned out much better than I expected :p! Awesome job. Hope its everything you wanted it to be and more! ;) Maybe your next upgrade will be a second Ep2500?
how'd you guess that?:jiggy: i'm drilling a hole through the closet wall and the ep2500 is going to be muzzled inside, i "am" thinking about purchasing another but we'll see. I've got to replace and reseal the binding post connector, which is where the air leak is located...i'll tackle this tomorrow...i'm also thinking about maybe molding for the cabinet, to dress it up a little...it looks plain Jane right now, but no one can see it anyway...oh man...you know, this sub may produce more than i'm noting...i've been using the number meter on the digital RS, not the bar graph:duh:, which updates .2 seconds when set to "fast"...the number meter only updates every 1 second, so i'm missing the peaks sometimes...can't wait to check this...i was just reading the manual by chance yesterday...i felt really stupid at that moment:scratch:...i'm also going to test the behringer with the clip limiter switched out...if i can get up the nerve...watching "Irene" with the dual is a treat, but even with two drivers, the 5-7 Hz signal is still not as tamed as i'd like...:scratchchin: but i definitely noticed an improvement over the dual...of course the ep2500 is into severe clipping at that point, which goes without saying...i'd like to go with dual ep2500's, but i'm a little afraid for the drivers...i'm boosting about 5 dB, down 5 octaves from 20 Hz (a manual LT, if you will)...the whole point of the dual was to cut excursion and distortion, keeping the output the same...once i seal up the cabinet and run more tests, i'll decide...i'm going to have to watch myself with this sub, output at and below 20 Hz has begun to affect me physically, this has never happened before...i was woozy for about 30 minutes one day after testing from 10-18 Hz...lots of VLF coming off this rig,:dizzy: especially with the room sealed up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see you're on again, any progress with the air leak??

after six hours the leak is plugged:coocoo: ...i think...116 dB 10 Hz sine...+7.5 dB on the receiver:holycow:...can't hear anything, but i'm going to get some black rtv sealant to be sure...

I ran the SWII fly-by @ -11 MV...set RS to max hold and low and behold...119 dB uncorrected 3.5m...120 and it starts clipping...so i'm guessing with correction at 30-40 Hz, where the fly-by resides, 121-122 dB without clipping:flex: ...i think the meter is off 2-3 dB in this range, according to all of the correction scales i've seen.:scratchchin:

This is more in line with the modeling from winisdpro...with the BFD switched out, i've recorded about 5 dB higher...but of course this is unusable output:rolleyesno:

That said, i'm pretty stoked with the sub...tomorrow i'll probably try to put some molding on the cabinet to purty it up!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Great to hear! Can't wait to see some pictures after you make it look good ;)

You've got me thinking about going Dual Ava15 with my 110 liter box. Heavy stuffing would drop the Qtc down to .6 (not critical Q but tighter than normal)....Then i'll use your extra box for the Tumult :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
after six hours the leak is plugged ...i think...116 dB 10 Hz sine...+7.5 dB on the receiver...can't hear anything, but i'm going to get some black rtv sealant to be sure...
Nothing like loading a driver, (in your case two) and lightly pushing it in with your fingertips and get nothing but resistance after a sealed build. Nice job!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Kramskoi,

Your build was the major starting point for me to try something similar.
I'm very interested in how you to came to decide on the dimensions for the box.
I will most likely use Dayton Titanic MK3 15 instead of TC LMS-R 15s.

Thinking about a 240L box - 8.74 cuft
650 x 850 x 550 mm (HxLxD) Outside dimensions
25.6 x 33.5 x 21.65 in

The units would be mounted on the 21.65 side.
I would like your opinion if the length of 33.5 would be too much for a dual opposed.
I've read that drivers should be placed fairly close to each other.

The Dayton is 8.375 vs the TC 8.64.
Box will have 1 inch walls and 2 inch baffles, with acoustic panels and stuffing.
With a length of 33 that leaves an average space of 12 inches between the drivers.

Be interested in any comments or suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Nuno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts