Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
That's a good driver. Any idea about the enclosure design?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm considering actually trying a folded 4" pipe port tuned to 12hz in a 4 cuft box. (If I'm too lazy to build the folded slot port required for the higher tuning.

This sub will be paired with two JL Audio 8w6 MBMs so it's largely gonna be in charge of the home theater low effects. With corner loading I'm sure the room gain will be crazy.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More then one 4" port I hope.
the only way I would use a round port on this is for an ultra-low tuning frequency.

A folded slot port is the more likely choice. Though an ultra-low 4" port tuned to 12 hz has a low enough rear port air velocity to be fine. I still prefer the large folded port. I'm sure Chris would probably suggest it and I trust his opinion.

I'm not sure how low I'm going to tune this. Apparently the guy that used it only used it for 30minutes and it was too much for him. :bigsmile:

I'll probably just tune it to 20hz if I can get the air velocity low enough.

There isn't a lot down to 12 hz anyway. Though I'm tempted to try it and see if I like it. Crazy yes. But might be a valuable learning experience.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll probably use an ep2500 with it though I'm concerned about over driving it with one.

So I'll have plenty of head room.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be getting a DCX when I can for my entire front soundstage.

I'll run a 20hz high pass filter and use the DCX to cross the MBMs and mains. I'll cross the MBM's with my sub via the CX2310 I have.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just built a pair of sonosubs with the TC1000's, although 15" versions. The 12 really shines in a ported enclosure, they are a lot better than if you were to use them sealed. TC's rec's for larger box is 3.0 cu feet net tuned to 20 hz, for that driver.

If you enter in the parameters in WinISD, you can play around with box size and tuning and confuse yourself more... :devil: it's ok, you can come and ask more questions later on. :reading:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts