Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what im thinking

its all 1" birch and im overbuilding this?

3" front baffle 2" every where else with 3 1" braces inside

As of right now the box almost takes up 2 full 4x8 sheets so it should weight in around 150lbs

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like the 3 layers of baffle for the front, i did that myself....but realistically you are over building this...2 layers everywhere else plus all that bracing? I think you could get by fine without doubling the other walls.

where are you finding 1" baltic birch in 4x8 sheets? I have only found it in 3/4" 5'x5' sheets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 3 layers of baffle for the front, i did that myself....but realistically you are over building this...2 layers everywhere else plus all that bracing? I think you could get by fine without doubling the other walls.

where are you finding 1" baltic birch in 4x8 sheets? I have only found it in 3/4" 5'x5' sheets.
local lumber supply has it and only $35 per sheet

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
its all 1" birch and im overbuilding this?
Probably overbuilt, but why worry? I'm not sure I've seen anyone take a cabinet to that extreme, so you can be the pioneer. :D There's no down side to an inert cabinet (other then the weight), and you can pretty much guarantee that one will be inert. How many watts are you going to through at it? What size is your room?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my living room is open to my dining room ans kitchen but my actual living room is around 16 x 13 and it will have 1000w going to it

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
Well my living room is open to my dining room ans kitchen but my actual living room is around 16 x 13 and it will have 1000w going to it
If there are no physical boundaries between your living room and the other rooms then the sub will "see" them all and try to pressurize the entire space. Depending upon where you're seated, relative to the subwoofer, you may find a single 15" acoustic suspension design won't be sufficient.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
I see another potential issue; a null at the primary seating position (at least I assume it's the primary position). That couch facing the TV is essentially in the middle of the room, since there's no wall behind it. That often leads to a null -- or dead spot -- for the bass. In a lot of cases that's difficult to overcome. You may end up having to be creative about where you place a sub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

That's behind the couch the only spots I have for the sub is beside the TV or in the bar u see firing toward the TV

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,371 Posts
What about in the corner, where the tree is now?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
That is a pretty good size space for a single 15" sealed sub. I tried to run a TC3000 15" in a space that size and wound up over driving it putting a nice dent in the cone:(

As far as room nulls you have no way of knowing exactly were they will be unless you measure. Nulls are like waves, you have your peaks and valleys and hope to be some where in between for the most even response. Having your couch against a wall is most of time the worst place so I wouldn't worry about were your main couch is.

Like everyone else has said 1" walls with your bracing is more than enough but if you want to get crazy then remember to lift with your legs:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have another room I could use but the couch to TV would only be around 8 ft and I would have to purchase another TV and seating which I really don't want to do

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
It might come out fine with a single 15" in that room as long you don't run into placement issues. I would build a cheap 3/4" mdf basic box just to experiment with placement before committing to the over the top box you have plans for. I personally always use test boxes first before committing the time and effort of a proper enclosure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts