Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

This is fairly late into the game, but for those of you who don't own a Gizmo and are looking for a two-channel amp, I thought I'd share my thoughts on it, as I'm a new first time owner of one.

Disclaimer: I am, in no way, an expert on audio devices, nor do I consider myself to have a golden ear. I'm just a student who enjoys music, and am writing my thoughts on the equipment I'm using. Nothing has been tested in a scientific manner - I'm just giving my honest opinion.

First off, the Gizmo is SMALL! I thought it would be the same footprint as my ELT525M, but it's smaller. I was pretty shocked when I took it out of the box.

Hooking up everything was a cinch, and in about 5 minutes after setting my setup I was ready to go. When I plugged in the Gizmo, yes, I did notice the flashing light, and laughed, since I've read so much about it, but I put a expired gift card over it and it covers it up completely. I leave it uncovered when it's on, though.

Anyways, I listen to mostly classical music, andy my desktop setup is just the ELT525Ms. For a few months I've been using a Harman Kardon AVR-247 receiver with the ELTs, so I'll be comparing the Gizmo to a full sized receiver. I have two smaller 10" subs, but I actually don't miss them very much, so I'm not using them.

The Gizmo does get surprisingly loud, and fills my 11x14 ft room to very loud SPLs at full volume. If you're worried by the "low" power rating, don't be (also, do a Google search on how SPL works - it's not as big of a deal as you think).

Sound quality wise, I thought everything sounded okay (not stellar, though - keep on reading!). I was a bit troubled by this, as the sound seemed kind of more muffled and unclear compared to the AVR-247. I thought maybe it was because I was using an optical/mini out before, and now I'm using an RCA/mini, so I considered getting a DAC.

I've had the Gizmo for about a week now, and now have been able to "tweak" (pun intended!) with it. (Okay that was a pretty lame joke). Remembering that I had tried both the "Large" and "Small" speaker settings on the AVR-247, and had preferred the "Small" setting better because of the enhanced clarity, I decided to turn down the bass on the TCA, and VOILA! The sound definitely cleared up. This leads me to the speculation that the AV123 ELT525Ms aren't very good at handling lower frequencies, and will sound messier when trying to play a full spectrum. I have the bass at -8 right now, which I think is a super balance. Now, the music is clear, fast orchestral passages, trumpet solos, and the softest violin passages come out smoothly without clutter.

The Gizmo has been pretty impressive, after adjusting the bass. It definitely cleared up a lot of room on my desk (if you stack 16 Gizmos in a two storied, 2x8 rectangle, that's about the size of the AVR-247), is easy to use, and provides fine sound quality. I did not notice any of the thinness that the Affordable Audio review had.

I'll be testing out the Gizmo with my Rocket RS850 Sigs in the living room sometime, as a pair of Infinity Beta 20s, in the future, but I'm pretty sure that I will be very pleased with the sound.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some More Thoughts....ELT525M vs WAF-1

Based on my experience with the Gizmo paired with the ELT525Ms, I think the Gizmo/WAF-1 combo will perform better without adjustment (Bass 0, Treble 0) than paired with the ELT525M. Reason being, with both the AVR-247 and the Gizmo, I had to "reduce" the output of the ELT525Ms because it sounded muddy.

The WAF-1s, which, according to reports (I haven't heard a pair yet, so take my opinion/thoughts with a grain of salt!), are more neutral, so it probably doesn't overemphasize the bass like the ELT525Ms do when using the Gizmo's built in crossover.

Just thoughts...I could be completely wrong!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts