Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, thank you for reviewing my first post. I am reaching out for help in building my first HT subs. I have a pair of Diamond Audio TDX 12 D2 drivers (car audio) and looking to place them in separate sealed enclosures (ease of build). I have the manufactures recommended dimensions but understand that car and ht applications are different. By chance has anyone worked with these drivers? I plan on using for both music and ht if that makes a difference. Room size is about 18’ x 18’ with a sloping ceiling that’s 8’ tall on one end and 12’ on the other.

T/S Parameters:

SPL 86.5
QMS 3.5
QES .60
QTS .51
FS 33
VAS 22
CMS .066
MMS 330
SD (M2) .0487
BL (T.M) 21
RE 3.85
XMAX 24mm

Sealed Enclosure

VB .55 – 2.5
F3 (HZ) 45 – 34
PE (Watts) 1200 – 800
QTC ( Max Power) 1.1 - .8

Based on these figures will this be a good choice of driver for my intended application? I will be powering with a Behringer EP4000 (cant find new EP2500 with warranty anywhere). Would a ported enclosure produce better results for my needs? I understand with an enclosure of 2.5 Net Vol. would produce an F3 of 34 Hz but can I build a larger enclosure to hit a lower Hz range? I don’t understand how to “Tune” an enclosure, please advise. As you can see I am new to this and please excuse me if I have left anything out. Thank you for your time, it’s truly appreciated!

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
Hello, thank you for reviewing my first post. I am reaching out for help in building my first HT subs. I have a pair of Diamond Audio TDX 12 D2 drivers (car audio) and looking to place them in separate sealed enclosures (ease of build). I have the manufactures recommended dimensions but understand that car and ht applications are different. By chance has anyone worked with these drivers? I plan on using for both music and ht if that makes a difference. Room size is about 18’ x 18’ with a sloping ceiling that’s 8’ tall on one end and 12’ on the other.

T/S Parameters:

SPL 86.5
QMS 3.5
QES .60
QTS .51
FS 33
VAS 22
CMS .066
MMS 330
SD (M2) .0487
BL (T.M) 21
RE 3.85
XMAX 24mm

Sealed Enclosure

VB .55 – 2.5
F3 (HZ) 45 – 34
PE (Watts) 1200 – 800
QTC ( Max Power) 1.1 - .8

Based on these figures will this be a good choice of driver for my intended application? I will be powering with a Behringer EP4000 (cant find new EP2500 with warranty anywhere). Would a ported enclosure produce better results for my needs? I understand with an enclosure of 2.5 Net Vol. would produce an F3 of 34 Hz but can I build a larger enclosure to hit a lower Hz range? I don’t understand how to “Tune” an enclosure, please advise. As you can see I am new to this and please excuse me if I have left anything out. Thank you for your time, it’s truly appreciated!
I'd do some reading up on enclosures and how they affect output, as well as Thiele Small parameters. Just try to get a little familiar with things, not become an engineer. Once you have a little basic knowledge, you can start to play with WinISD or other plotting software.

In the mean time I'm sure someone could make a few plots for you... I don't know what a good enclosure volume or tuning would be.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Here is how this sub models. In a 3 cu.ft. sealed enclosure the sub would handle 1000 watts and not need a hi-pass filter (rumble filter).
In a 2.5 cu.ft. ported enclosure tuned to 21 hz the sub would handle 1000 watts with a hi-pass filter at 14 hz. Ported would be the way to go for your room size since it has a 10 db advantage at 20 hz.
The port would need to be a slot port 2" high, 12" wide and 54" long. To get the 54" length in the small enclosure required, the port would cover the bottom of the sub, run up the back wall, and continue across the top of the sub until a 54" length is achieved.

If you have any questions, just ask. :T

Diamond 12.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts