Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not all that up on subwoofer Hz and what it means. In other words whats a better range.

For example
20Hz-150Hz

or

25Hz - 250Hz

Should the first number be higher or lower in relation to better?
Should the second number be higher or lower in relation to better?

Help me learn more about audio. Thanks for any and all comments in advance.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Subs usually crossover at around 80 Hz so you need one that will go to about double that to get a smooth transition between it and the mains. So 20 - 150 Hz is quite acceptable.

You would only need to go higher, ie 250 Hz, if you had very small mains that only went down to 120 Hz.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Generally speaking the lower the fist number the better and the higher the second the better.
Power, roll-off, placement and other factors also come into play.
Take a look at our Sub Zone forum, there are a lot of visuals in the reviews that will show you a great deal on sub woofer performance.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Realistically Music only goes down to around 30Hz at best, for movies it can go much deeper. If you have lots of money a sub that digs down to 10Hz is great however those will set you back at least $1600. I good quality sub that reaches 20Hz at a decent SPL will still sound great with movies and will coast between $600 and $1000.
A sub that is used to reach higher than 160Hz is not truly a sub anymore and usually sacrifices its lower frequencies to get that high.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Generally speaking the lower the fist number the better and the higher the second the better.
Power, roll-off, placement and other factors also come into play.
Take a look at our Sub Zone forum, there are a lot of visuals in the reviews that will show you a great deal on sub woofer performance.
This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

What is your budget for a subwoofer?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have seen people reach 10 hz,i have a dip from 20 > 15 hz,butt below it,s standing ferm till 5 hz .
Not the money,butt the drivers make this possible.
Butt you have to build it yourself

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input folks. I currently have two Def Tech Pro Sub 800. I just don't feel like I am getting the bass I desire. I have been looking at the HSU VTF-15H. Its a bit expensive and I won't be able to invest in it just yet. Also its a monster (in size) and I would have to figure out if I can comfortably fit it in my room.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
My room is almost the same size and I have had an SVS 16-42 cylinder sub, a AV123 UFW-10 and a HSU VTF-3. All of those left me wanting more. I finally saved up enough pennies to get a Seaton Submersive HP and am done for good. The point being, if you are bitten by the bug to get better bass, get the best sub you possibly can. The Hsu VTF-15H would be the baseline for me. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Not many 10hz subs, the funky audio 18.3 goes down to 13hz and thats 4k. The HSU 15H 17hz, svs PC12 18hz both of which areunder 1k
The Kreisel 12012 was tested and reviewed here and does 10hz. I have that one and while I have never measured it I'm sure its reached that or close. I feel the punch and walls have rattled even away from the family room.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Kreisel 12012 was tested and reviewed here and does 10hz. I have that one and while I have never measured it I'm sure its reached that or close. I feel the punch and walls have rattled even away from the family room.
Uh...thats like 3x the $ of a HSU VTF 15H!!!!!!!!!!!:yikes:
I may have been looking to go from a $300 sub to a $1000 sub, but $3000 is way over my limit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.