Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I have the receiver X and the audio file F, which sounds different depending on the way is delivered.

The sources are two types:
1. usb, iPod, network, optical through bluetooth, bitstream over HDMI on one hand and
2. PCM over HDMI on the other hand.

The type 2 is obviously superior to type 1 in detail and image. The funny part is even same file played through the blu-ray (audio as PCM) or the smart tv, sounds better than same file played from type 1 source.

Why is that? (The receiver works perfect, I know for sure is not defective.)

Thank you!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Are you using two different inputs to A/B the audio? If 'yes', are the two inputs level-matched? A small difference in volume level, for example, can lead to the perception that the louder stream sounds "better".

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Is there some processing at play in the receiver? Are levels exactly the same?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using two different inputs to A/B the audio? If 'yes', are the two inputs level-matched? A small difference in volume level, for example, can lead to the perception that the louder stream sounds "better".
The output level is matched by using pink noise file and same SPL regardless of the input.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Actually, it is very difficult to match levels with noise. A single test tone, i.e. a stationary signal, is much more practical and precise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are you volume leveling between different sources and input formats?
First of all both types of inputs are digital, but I don't find that difficult to match the volume, and even more, PCM over HDMI sounds better even at lower perceived volumes.

Second, everyone who heard that comparison noticed a big difference in quality.

So let's skip step of matching volume, is not that. I'm thinking that one of the modules of the receiver is not exactly top of the line even the brand name is. I would like to know which one.

Another thing, my HDTV cable box is connected with hdmi, and I have the option to choose between L-PCM signal or Dolby digital. Same here, L-PCM is super detailed, Dolby Digital sounds really cheap. Why?

Thks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts