Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I initially started with the following model and a WinISD simulation.









Then came the purchase of the Tempest and the build began with Xmas break.

Here's a shot of the internal braces cut and ready to go in.

The cutout for the Speakon connector to go on the back.

Test fitting the flush mounted Speakon connector

Three walls glued to the base.

The port walls are now in and the ports are painted.



Internal bracing is in along with the top of the ports and the internal port flare.





Finally the box is closed up.

Here's the box, edges flushed and corners rounded.

Prepping for paint, I used wood filler for the seams last time but saw drywall putty recommended on another forum. It did a pretty good job.

A little size comparison for ya.

Here's a shot of the electronics I'll be running it with.

A shot of the Tri-Port with the Keplers I built it to go with.


Unfortunately there appears to be a line level problem so I have not really been able to unleash this beast. I have a Samson S-Convert on the way so hopefully that will be remedied soon. Also, I realize the paint job is terrible but it was a 2 day rush job due to the weather with $20 worth of paint and primer. Hopefully I'll be able to match it to the Keplers come summer.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Awesome work mate. Top stuff.

That thing is going to have some serious output :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Very nice. You gonna put some spikes or feet on it, or just leave it self-powered on the carpet:heehee:
Yeah!:hsd:
Actually right now, with what little I've heard from it, I think the weight of it sitting flat on the carpet works well. It's pretty cool standing next to it and feeling it in your feet. I tried spikes on my last build and it didn't do much for me, I didn't notice any benefit. I figure it saves me money and effort to just not worry about them.

Tonight I fired it up, cranked the gain all the way up on the amp, and put The Day After Tomorrow in. Even with the little power the sub was getting it still made an impression in the low frequencies. I loved my parents reaction when they were talking about the eyes of the super storms in the movie, "pulling air straight down from the troposphere" and the ceiling in the living room and dining room rattled.

That's when I told them, "this thing's just clearing its throat." :T
Wait til I get some real power going into this thing. :bigsmile:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Small Update:







The sub is working well. I have been impressed with the output now that the signal problem is fixed. It is working well with both music and movies. I've got the B-1 and S-Convert maxed and I am now quite happy with my ability to modulate the amount of bass I want. The P2500S appears to be a good match for the Tempest. It's got the power to push the Tempest to xmax during movies, so I have to be careful, and I can just about max it out playing music. I still haven't had any clipping lights and zero fan noise as the fan has yet to come on. I thought I pushed it pretty hard with Star Trek and some bass heavy music, still not enough to get the fan to come on. It's good stuff. :T
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top