Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Designing an entertainment unit that will also be my sub box.
Room is long and narrow 50 X 12 ft and 7.5 ft high (basement)
Amp is BASH 500 watt with 12.9hz high pass

Looking at an "L" shaped box:
24" H X 26" depth X 24" width (the driver will face the corner of the room about 4 feet from the corner on the face of the box that measures 24"H X 26"D) however, I would like the box to have larger volume and I have enough room to continue the next 24" of width at 15" H and still 26" of depth.
So, overall 48" wide and 24" high and 26" deep with a notch out of the one side with the back of the Tempest X toward the notched part of the box.
Will use 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood.

I could run sealed as I do not think I will have enough volume with a big port in there but will have little room gain.
Will the shape make a difference?
Might you see any flaws in this approach?
Should I mount the driver midpoint or closer to the floor?
Suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Designing an entertainment unit that will also be my sub box.
Room is long and narrow 50 X 12 ft and 7.5 ft high (basement)
Amp is BASH 500 watt with 12.9hz high pass

Looking at an "L" shaped box:
24" H X 26" depth X 24" width (the driver will face the corner of the room about 4 feet from the corner on the face of the box that measures 24"H X 26"D) however, I would like the box to have larger volume and I have enough room to continue the next 24" of width at 15" H and still 26" of depth.
So, overall 48" wide and 24" high and 26" deep with a notch out of the one side with the back of the Tempest X toward the notched part of the box.
Will use 3/4 inch baltic birch plywood.

I could run sealed as I do not think I will have enough volume with a big port in there but will have little room gain.
Will the shape make a difference?
Might you see any flaws in this approach?
Should I mount the driver midpoint or closer to the floor?
Suggestions?
Thanks
No problems that I see. The shape of the enclosure doesn't matter. I'd mount the driver where it fits the best for cosmetic or ease of build. The exact location on the enclosure won't matter. Brace the cabinet well on the long dimensions.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 3 of 3 Posts