Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
I'm going to do my first DIY subwoofer and am after some help. i was going to get 2 Tempest X and make 140l sealed boxes for them and was looking at getting a Behringer EPX2000 amp to power them. now what im not sure about is this amp fine to run them or will i need more power, will i need anything else i see people are saying that you need a HPF(not sure what that is) do i need one as im going to be using the subwoofer output from my pioneer avr.

if someone could help me thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
hi,
I'm going to do my first DIY subwoofer and am after some help. i was going to get 2 Tempest X and make 140l sealed boxes for them and was looking at getting a Behringer EPX2000 amp to power them. now what im not sure about is this amp fine to run them or will i need more power, will i need anything else i see people are saying that you need a HPF(not sure what that is) do i need one as im going to be using the subwoofer output from my pioneer avr.

if someone could help me thanks
You only need a HPF (high-pass filter or subsonic filter) if you run them ported. If you use two sealed 140L boxes, you don't need any sort of subsonic filter to protect the driver.

As long as your amplifier can deliver somewhere between 300-3000W per driver, you are fine. On the lower end of the scale (300W) you will be amplifier limited and the first limit in your output will be the amplifier clipping. On the upper end of that scale (3000W) you will easily be able to overdrive the Tempest-X2, possibly damaging it if you are not careful. If you drive two Tempest-X2, with 650W @ 4 Ohms you should be golden.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks kevin ive decided to go with just one and im looking at getting a oaudio 500w plate amp and also go with a vented box tuned to 20Hz kinda like to slot design you have on here. dose this sound right i was going to build a 150L box with a slot port 34mm high 450mm wide 660mm long and turn the subsonic filter on the amp to 20hz. the air speed peaks at 16ms and the cone excursion max is 15mm dose this sound right its the first time ive used winisd. if you could let me knows it would be a great help thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts