Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT- Posts cut from http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...n-sketchup-attached-feedback-appreciated.html

Mike P.

It will primarily come down to what size box I can convince my wife won't ruin our den and how much money I'm willing to spend at the time of the build.
I guess I'm lucky that i don't have to worry about what my house-mate thinks of what im building :D

BTW I just bought my tempest driver :D and at the moment I'm leaning towards making the plate-amp version simply because my hifi cabinet has limited space and i cannot justify getting a new cabinet for +3db SPL difference.

Although given the similarity between the two designs if I do change my mind prior to purchasing an amp there isn't a lot of changes to make if I go the other route.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated

Although given the similarity between the two designs if I do change my mind prior to purchasing an amp there isn't a lot of changes to make if I go the other route.
If you are interested in a cabinet design that will accommodate both a 500W plate amp or an external pro amp without impacting the port design/dimensions, you could build something like the cabinet I drew for Fazz:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...-beginner-tempest-x2-ported-4.html#post262198

Just change the cutout hole on the back of the cabinet to accommodate your amp of choice. The ports have sufficient volume to handle up to 1000W with a reasonable port speed (< 20 m/s).

Steve

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated

Cheers Steve, it looks like a very reasonable alternative.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

A quick question here as I just want to clear something up.

The original design called for a 18hz HPF but the O Audio 500w plate amp that I'm thinking of getting only allows for the HPF to be set to 12/16/20/25 and I'm unsure if changing the HPF to the same frequency as the vent to will have a negative impact on the subwoofers output.

WinISD seems to indicate that the SPL, vent velocity and cone excursion are fine but I'm not familiar enough with the technical aspects of speaker building to know if this would have some other impact on the output?

Can anyone please advise if it will?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

If I'm thinking of the right amp, that O-audio doesnt have a HPF, those settings are boost settings designed to help the low end output of a sealed sub. Its not the best amp for a ported design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

As far as i'm aware it does.

http://www.oaudio.com/docs/manual_v1_6.pdf

page 10 down the bottom -
SUBSONIC FILTER AND EQ – This rotary control can be set to 12Hz, 16Hz, 20Hz, or
25Hz and adjusts a combination of low frequency boost and subsonic filter rolloff.
Please refer to Chart 1 in the Specifications section for more information.

Also - if this amp is not recommended for vented subs, what would a good alternative be?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

The subsonic filter altering is merely a resulting function of the different boost levels, rather than a proper subsonic filter. In a ported sub the port itself acts as the boost, so you dont want your amplifier doing it further, it can be be dangerous for the driver in certain designs, and it will mess with your response.

I believe a lot of people in the US use the Dayton plate amps from parts express as an alternative for ported sub builds. Click on the parts express link at the top, click on speaker building, and find the plate amps area, there are plenty of option on that page for you, the Dayton HPSA500 500W Subwoofer Amplifier also includes a single band PEQ, which you may find of use too :T

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

The O-Audio amp will work with this design if you use the 20 HPF hz setting. The 20 hz setting has 3 or 4 db of boost included at that frequency but that can be eliminated if required by using the on board EQ which has a effective lower range limit of 18 hz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The O-Audio amp will work with this design if you use the 20 HPF hz setting. The 20 hz setting has 3 or 4 db of boost included at that frequency but that can be eliminated if required by using the on board EQ which has a effective lower range limit of 18 hz.
Cheers Mike,

I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work i guess i'll try an external amp and maybe a reckhorn.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

If he doesnt yet have the amp though, would you still choose the O-audio over alternatives?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

I would choose it over the Dayton 500 watt amp for this application. Green is the Dayton amp, orange is the O-Audio amp, with shipping the O-Audio amp is $100 cheaper for less then 1 db of difference in the low end.

o audio.JPG

·
Registered
252 Posts

I would choose it over the Dayton 500 watt amp for this application. Green is the Dayton amp, orange is the O-Audio amp, with shipping the O-Audio amp is $100 cheaper for less then 1 db of difference in the low end.
I would also consider the BASH500 which can be modified by CSS (small fee) to have a true 18 Hz HPF (no boost). It is also almost $100 less than the Dayton plate amp.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BASH500

Steve

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts

We're all learning new stuff here, good work guys :T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The CSS Bash500 amp looks pretty good but parts express appears to be sold out and the local Aussie distributor listed on the CSS website doesn't appear to stock that item at all :(

Apart from the Dayton amps on PE the only alternatives that i can see with a good reputation (AFAIK) with similar power levels are the Hypex DS 4.0 or 8.0 which are considerably more expensive; to the point where i could get an external amp and HPF for the same $.

http://www.audiomarketplace.com.au/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,25/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,193/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,49/

Looks like the OAudio 500 is the best solution for me atm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Have now purchased the Exodus tempest x2 and the O Audio 500w bash amp so they will hopefully arrive within a week or two. :D

In the mean time i'm gonna see if there's any improvements i can make to the design that will smooth out that 20-30hz drop in SPL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So i would have to increase the internal volume while trying to maintain the vent tune etc.

hmm time to have another play with sketchup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

At the moment the plan is to tuck this thing behind my lounge which has a ~2ft clearance from the back wall. Given that I don't want this thing visible behind the lounge the height/width are pretty much set but the length of the cabinet could be extended significantly as long as it fits neatly behind the lounge.

Having said that i would like the cabinet to be of a reasonable size so a 60"+ long cabinet just isn't going to happen.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts