Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Tempest X 15" suitable for a relativley small ported box, around 5 ft? I am having trouble with Winisd, my own lack of know-how, and am not able to get numbers that make sense to me. If the Tempest is not, please make suggestions. I prefer a dvc 4 ohm that can be driven with 350wpc stereo amp. The room is 20x30x8, the mains can handle down to 60hz easily. Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Mike I did. I am now trying to find a suitable 15" driver for a 5 ft. or less enclosure for less than $200. I was afraid the tempest X needed too lange an enclosure for my space requirments, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The best I can come up with would be the Mach 5 Audio IXL-15.2.2 in 5 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz. It is $220 shipped to your door.

http://www.mach5audio.com/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&zenid=d3edd2b921751701c239b15bfed06bc3

Be aware that that is 5 cu.ft. net. You have to add volume for the displacement of the sub, ports and bracing. That would make the total internal volume closer to 6 cu.ft. Other then that your options are a sealed sub and you give up low end output compared to a ported, or drop down to a 12 inch sub.

Maybe someone else has an idea that I'm not thinking of.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you are looking for home theater sub I would choose a 12" for that enclosure size. It will sound better to have a smaller sub in that size box. There is nothing worse than putting a sub in too small of a box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts