Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a Tempest X2 15" but I am wondering what plate amp and wattage I should get to go with it. I am looking to build it into a ported box and maybe around the 15Hz range if that low is possible.

I have been watching threads here for a while but lost on amps as different designs call for more or less power than others. This is one that has been suggested to me this morning...

http://www.hypex.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77&Itemid=90

I'm looking to buy the main product first and then sort final designs around my current ideas.

Cheers from Australia,

Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thankyou. Just not sure on what I needed power wise. With the below specs would you recommend going lower in the tuning 12Hz, due to the 12Hz subsonic filter? Not overly sure what the X2 15" is capable of.

- Power output 800 Wrms into 4 ohms.
- Crossover filter, 24dB/octave.
- Subsonic-filter 12Hz, 24dB/octave.

I was thinking that this could fill the void behind the rear seats and the wall. Down firing rectangular box, woofer in the centre with slot ports on either end also down firing. Or woofer at one end and larger slot port at the other. If this if jammed between a wall and couch the sound should still come out ok...?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike, I think I'll pull the trigger on the purchasing of the driver.
When you say you modeled off the amps specs what exactly are you looking for, would more power provide a lower achievable hertz range?

I'm having PC issues at home and I don't want to install the Box tools on the work PC so I may call on some more help.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I see the Tempest X2 is fairly highly regarded here. Do you (with your contacts and experience) know of others in Australia that are similar or better to this, as the Tempest I can get is 'the last one' they have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mike (or others),

Just wondering if someone could recommend, with that sub and amp combo, if there would be a better hertz rating to try and tune for given that this would be mostly used for movies, maybe occasional music, but mostly movies.

Just wondering what other options are that might aide in better sound quality or reproduction given the two known factors.

I'm in the middle of doing up a sketchup of the room and possible layout options, that'll be another question session when completed too I guess.

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The IXL could go in a slightly smaller box tuned to the same frequency. You would only require around 600 watts to get the same spl. I have designed a few Mach Audio IXL subs for people in Oz land. A chap called Jeff has two which are in 13 cu ft boxes tuned to 15hz and he is very happy with his.

You could go slightly smaller if you wanted to but not much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers guys, I already have a Tempest X2 and an 800 watt plate amp. But if I wanted to build a matching twin sub setup one day then it would be nice to use something that is still available.

I was looking at a 15ft3 box with 15hz tune for movies with this combo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts