Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone be able to assist with modeling a Tempest X2 in a sealed 7^ft box with an OAudio BASH 500?

My problem centers around the HPF's and corresponding boost levels. I can't find a consensus on how much boost or filter Q and order is being applied at each setting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm at home for Turkey Day so I don't have access to my web tools. It is fairly simple though, just look at the boost curve that OAudio provides. It gives you boost curve.

There is more than just the FR to concern yourself with though. Anytime you use boost, you also consume power doing so. You have to consider that your available headroom for transients will be impacted significantly. For builds with boost on the bottom-end, I highly recommend at least 1000W amplifiers. Otherwise, you end up clipping the amplifier during transients and I've had several people with exactly that problem when using the OAudio amplifier.

I repeat... the OAudio amp is not recommended for any of the Exodus builds. If you want to use boost, you need at least 1000W of amplifier power for 3dB of gain, 1500W or more for gain levels >5dB.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Kevin, and a Happy Turkey Day to you and your family!

I saw the curve on the OAudio site, but thought they may be a little optimistic on the boost levels, and just wanted to confirm.

I did see a chart on speaker builder that was referencing boost and the adjustments needed for system input power. Something like for a 3db gain you need to divide the total system power by 2, and divide by 4 for a 6db gain.

I was worried about hitting xmax at some point with the 17hz and below settings, but it looks like I may run out of amp before that happens...or I'm not reading the winisd tables correctly.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to getting the driver in!

Aloha
Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts