Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm nearly done with building a sealed 8 CuFt enclosure for a Tempest-X2. I'll get some pics up at some point but right now it needs some finishing work... I'm struggling to find the motivation to sand/fill/paint it up since I'm going to have it hidden under stairs...

My question is - has anyone had a chance to compare poly-fil (and variants) against Acousta-Stuf and other "acoustical" fills?

The price difference is $3/lb @ Jo-Anns Fabrics for Poly-fil or $10/lb for Acousta-Stuf at Parts Express (or $45/5 lbs). So the price difference is substantial!

I read somewhere that there is a difference in the type of fiber? Some reviews seem to indicate that the Acousta-Stuf makes a noticeable difference?

To me, I just have a hard time believing that you could REALLY hear much of a difference between two types of synthetic fillers! I already bought 10 lbs of poly-fill - I just can't justify spending $80-100 for Acousta-Stuf (unless maybe I was building a small box)

I did find this page that I thought was interesting:
http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1348/ultimate-polyfill-subwoofer-enclosure-resource

The Tempest-X2 application guide recommends 100% fill for 8cuft - which I am guessing would be 1lb/cuft? It's weird because some sites say 1/2 lb and others say 1lb per cuft.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The differences between stuffing products are very very small. It is of a magnitude that they are totally swamped by room issues so just pick up the Jo-Ann Fabrics polyfill and call it a day.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The differences between stuffing products are very very small. It is of a magnitude that they are totally swamped by room issues so just pick up the Jo-Ann Fabrics polyfill and call it a day.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Thanks Kevin! I knew that you'd give a great response.

In the Application Guides - is 1 lb/cuft considered 100% fill?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts