Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the Tempest X2 in the EZ Port box be a good configuration for music? It seems that setup can put out some serious db's for HT, but would it be okay for Jazz and Classical (and some Rap and Hip Hop)music as well?

Would the sealed boxes offer a better compromise for 50/50 HT/music purposes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have made myself more clear about the enclosure. It is the EZ Slot Port designed by Kevin. A little over 5cu ft internal tuned to 21hz with a 19x1.5in slot port.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
+1

but the wife...not so much! :D
It will be musical, especially if you spend the money to get room EQ & measurements (SMS-1). You have to try and bend my arm behind my back to get me to design something that isn't musical. I don't like thumping one-note bass and if you follow my recommendations for design, you won't get that kind of result.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It will be musical, especially if you spend the money to get room EQ & measurements (SMS-1). You have to try and bend my arm behind my back to get me to design something that isn't musical. I don't like thumping one-note bass and if you follow my recommendations for design, you won't get that kind of result.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. I appologize as I didn't mean to imply that your Tempest + EZ Slot Port design wasn't musical, it is just that I couldn't find too many comments on its use outside of a HT role.

What would be your personal preference for HT/music usage between this box vs. a 6^ft sealed one?

Unfortunately, SMS-1 or the SVS counterpart are outside of my budget. I'm hoping Audyssey could adjust things to a decent level.

Thank you very much!
Aloha!
Brian

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Kevin,

Thank you for the reply. I appologize as I didn't mean to imply that your Tempest + EZ Slot Port design wasn't musical, it is just that I couldn't find too many comments on its use outside of a HT role.

What would be your personal preference for HT/music usage between this box vs. a 6^ft sealed one?

Unfortunately, SMS-1 or the SVS counterpart are outside of my budget. I'm hoping Audyssey could adjust things to a decent level.

Thank you very much!
Aloha!
Brian
HT requires lots of output. With the small drivers, the 12" & 15" subs I tend to push people toward the ported alignments because a small driver, needs help to get high enough SPL to do the job. A subwoofer being driven into gross levels of distortion, isn't musical. If you have an 18" or a 21" driver, that isn't necessarily the case, you can often use a sealed box and still have plenty of output. I define the amount of output that you need based upon a fairly simple standard. When you can listen to everything you want, at the levels you desire, and don't have to worry about maxing out the subwoofer, that is enough output. Anything more isn't of use.

You have to judge the size of the room, your requirements for SPL, and give yourself some wiggle room but for me, I like big sealed boxes with massive drivers. They sound more musical to me but there is no research to confirm that bias. ;-) At the same time, I'd be perfectly happy with the slot ported Tempest. It rocks.... plenty of output and it will be smooth and tasty, especially if you spend the money to do proper room measurements and equalization which is more important than which driver you choose (within the confines of having enough output).

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kevin,

Thanks for the comments!

My room is about 18x23x8 or so and open on one side to other parts of the house. I will only have one placement option for the sub and it is right next to the sofa, and up against a wall that runs the length of the room.

I don't normally get to watch movies at reference levels. On BD/DVD media I'm rarely turning the volume past -15db (60db's?), and more often than not have it around -20or quieter so I don't wake up the kids.

Like you, I have a thing for sealed enclosures as I do believe that they do better with music. I will admit that preference may be all in my imagination.

I'm thinking I can get away with 6^ft sealed enclosure, stuffed 100%, using the 18hz 3rd order highpass on the amp, along with a 1db boost centered at 20hz .5Q and get close to flat output (to 20hz) with the room gain.

That is assuming that I'm using WinISD correctly, and that is a BIG assumption. :D

Does that look like I will have enough headroom with my listening levels?

Anyway, I guess if the sealed enclosure doesn't work out, I could always rebuild and do the ported...

Aloha!
Brian

·
Registered
487 Posts
Great post. Seems logical to me.

HT requires lots of output. With the small drivers, the 12" & 15" subs I tend to push people toward the ported alignments because a small driver, needs help to get high enough SPL to do the job. A subwoofer being driven into gross levels of distortion, isn't musical. If you have an 18" or a 21" driver, that isn't necessarily the case, you can often use a sealed box and still have plenty of output. I define the amount of output that you need based upon a fairly simple standard. When you can listen to everything you want, at the levels you desire, and don't have to worry about maxing out the subwoofer, that is enough output. Anything more isn't of use.

You have to judge the size of the room, your requirements for SPL, and give yourself some wiggle room but for me, I like big sealed boxes with massive drivers. They sound more musical to me but there is no research to confirm that bias. ;-) At the same time, I'd be perfectly happy with the slot ported Tempest. It rocks.... plenty of output and it will be smooth and tasty, especially if you spend the money to do proper room measurements and equalization which is more important than which driver you choose (within the confines of having enough output).

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
171 Posts
Like you, I have a thing for sealed enclosures as I do believe that they do better with music. I will admit that preference may be all in my imagination.
I believe what u are hearing is the difference in roll-off curve, which can be Eq'd into a ported design to sound the same as sealed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe what u are hearing is the difference in roll-off curve, which can be Eq'd into a ported design to sound the same as sealed.
Ports and PRs introduce phase changes and group delay. This is probably why sealed sounds more musical than ported/PR.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the opinions! At least with flexible DIY speakers, I can alter the enclosures if I don't like a particular configuration.

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1

but the wife...not so much! :D
Boy that could be taken a couple different ways. Sorry couldn't help myself. LOL. Ok back on topic. This sounds pretty cool. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I have a similar cubby in my HT room with my rear projection tv in it currently and I am waiting for it to die so I also can fill the void with something better and go the projector route.:clap:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ports and PRs introduce phase changes and group delay. This is probably why sealed sounds more musical than ported/PR.
Yea... but when you look at what the room introduces in terms of phase changes/delay, it doesn't make much sense that you would be able to hear these relatively minor differences that are attributed to the box design.

All the research shows that people cannot hear these differences from a properly designed ported design vs. sealed one. As I said though, I still have a bias for large sealed designs. It might be in my head but if I had the space and the budget, a gaggle of big 18" or 21"s is my ideal subwoofer system.

If you are budget/size limited though, the ported 12" & 15" designs are often a better solution due to the size/cost/output tradeoff.

Kevin Haskins

1 - 17 of 17 Posts