Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally finished my 8Cuft sealed Tempest-X2 sub..... and I have to say it's SOOO nice to have a sub that can handle everything that I throw at it! A 15" high excursion driver just doesn't compare to my poor HSU VTF-1 (although I have to say that VTF-1 sounds great for music and the volumes it's designed for - it just can't handle the excursion needed for low freqs)

I'm turning into a bass head!!

I know that that Behringer EP2500 is popular for driving many subs... I have a EP4000 (I know specs are basically same - but I got a deal).. I'd buy a Face amp if I could afford it.. those look pretty solid!

I've always been scared of the gain dial on my VTF-1 for fear of frying the driver - so naturally I was leery of adjusting the gain too high on the EP4000. I found that it sounded really good with the gain up at the 2'O clock position (75%?). I had to change the level on my Onkyo PR-SC886 to be 0db instead of -8 (the gain on the HSU amp seems really sensitive).

So, my rambling question is - what level of gain have others found that they like when driving the Tempests or other 1000W+ Exodus drivers?

I think I read that the EP2500s put out 650W at 4ohms in stereo and nearly 2000W in bridged 4ohm operation. I currently have it in stereo only using 1 channel, with the Tempest wired in series.

Should I bridge the EP2500? So that way I'm only using 500W+/- of a total 2000W?

Are others bridging their EP2500s (or similar 2000-3000 watt pro amps) to drive theirs?

I have just read so much conflicting information about the proper wattage amp for any driver.

Thanks in advance! I apologize if this sounds too much like an EP2500 question - it's more a question about amp sizing for large drivers...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd try the Tempest on one channel, full gain. Adjust the volume on the preamp/eq/whatever you use.

Play some stuff, and if you see it clip, you could use more power. Not too sure about the bridging though :)

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd try the Tempest on one channel, full gain. Adjust the volume on the preamp/eq/whatever you use.

Play some stuff, and if you see it clip, you could use more power. Not too sure about the bridging though :)
Cool.. Thanks! I appreciate it.

Anyone else have any comments on how many watts they use to drive their Shiva/Tempest/Maelstroms?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anyone else have any comments on how many watts they use to drive their Shiva/Tempest/Maelstroms?
That totally depends on your setup.
If you're using a Maelstrom-X in a sealed box, you could probably give it more than 2500 watts without any problems.
If you're using it ported, tuned low without a highpass filter, 1000 watts might be enough to exceed the excursion limits.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That totally depends on your setup.
If you're using a Maelstrom-X in a sealed box, you could probably give it more than 2500 watts without any problems.
If you're using it ported, tuned low without a highpass filter, 1000 watts might be enough to exceed the excursion limits.
But isn't PMax for the Maelstrom 1500W?

·
Registered
241 Posts
But isn't PMax for the Maelstrom 1500W?
I've seen Kevin mention he's got customers using them in sealed applications sometimes giving the woofers >3000 watts. It all depends on the application, you are not going to give the driver 3000 watts continuously, the music is dynamic. (I wouldn't play test tones at full power though. Especially not at frequencies where the driver doesn't move much...)

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting..

I've definitely learned from playing with WinISD and looking at subwoofer excursion at certain frequencies...

I always underestimate how much of the wattage->driver mix (in terms of limits) is really about physics rather than electrical rating.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
As alluded to above... how much power depends on the box and application. For Maelstroms you can usually use as much power as you can afford. That doesn't mean you need to run the things at full tilt until it blows but the driver handles power well. The power ratings are almost meaningless. Read my diatribe on Power Handling in the stickies.

For Shiva & Tempest builds most of them work well in the 500-1000W range. You can use less and you can use more so there is no hard and fast rule. If you use more you need to understand what you are doing. If you use less... you will certainly be amplifier limited but that may be fine depending on your budget and application.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts