Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first off I'm honered to be a part of such a fine forum, Ther is alot of talent as well as some great people here.
As my title said. I am from Tennessee, living in Cape Coral Florida, came here as a career choice, I have a backround in music, as a Guitar player / Singer, but I loved the sound system, when we set up at each venue, I was there doing soundchecks, EQ'ing those kick drums with a 31 band rane EQ for each
Kick, tweaking them untill they hit you in the chest like a sledgehammer!! nothing like a thundering drum set coming through QSC power amps pushing 18,000 watts and 6-18" subs per side and the rest of the mids and highs! (A gang of 12's and JBL lensed horns).
I also got into car audio, cramming as many Rockford Fosgate DVC 12's and Hi-fonics amps as I could fit into a S-10 Blazer, It hit 142 DB as the roof of the truck flexed nearly two inches, (and yes, I am half deaf from all this).
I recently bought my TV and HT sound system, and with my compulsive nature and hi wattage backround, it seemed only normal to me to start upgrading, much to the dismay of my wife, (I actually returned a RCA HT system, and a Sony before the Onkyo system I have now) Whats wrong with this one? she would ask, well, you know the drill, This is the last one I'll need, well, THIS is the last one....and now, up grading Subs, plans for DIY mains, etc, etc.
Working with all the metal fab tools I have at hand I hope to have some cool designs coming up.
So thank you all for having me, here's to some great sound and 1080P video!!

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Hi Mongrel....and welcome to the Shack.

I know exactly what you mean about the PA gear...I used to be a soung guy for a small band in my earlier years, and loved pushing those bass horns to their limits..:scared:

Enjoy your time here..

·
Senior Shackster
365 Posts
Welcome to the shack Mongrel. I am also a live soundman. I like doing soundchecks myself, maybe its the geek in me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Mongrel and welcome to the Shack. This is a great site , and should you need it, you'll find all the help you would ever need here. I am a Tennessee Boy now living in NC, having grown up in Nashville. What part of TN are you from? Additionally, my wife's best friend lives right there in Cape Coral, we came down last summer to stay with her and her husband for 10 days. It seems like a great area and we are talking about trying to work in another visit this summer possibly. They live in a golf neighborhood near the intersection of Pine Island Rd and Burnt Store Rd , the course is called Royal Tee and the entrance is right across from a plaza that has the Publix store. Anyway, it's a small world. My wife has also noticed I have a constant case of upgradeitus, but she enjoys good sound and video and sometimes notices a difference when I add new equipment, especially the recent addition of a sub.

Take Care,
Mark

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allright! thank you all for the warm welcome! Mark, I am from the Tri City Area, born in Johnson City and lived in the Bristol Blountville area, About, .75 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway, and your friend is not far from me, we are in the south eastern Cape, we love it here, What part of NC? I lived in Winston Salem as well as Charlotte, and my Sis in law lives in Lenoire. As for Football Sonnie, I'll have to stay on the side of TN, that comment may get me in trouble here! thank you guys again, it's been great fun so far!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Wow... living that close to Bristol, I would be spoiled on the night racing.

I was sure hoping you might say Florida, but I understand, we all have our downfalls... :sarcastic: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mongrel- Thanks for the response. I live in the Swansboro- Cape Carteret area ( sort of between the two). The area is about an hour north of Wilmington and 2 hours southeast of Raleigh, the beach is 10 minutes away. Like Sonnie, I would be spoiled living that close to Bristol as I'm a Nascar fan ( big college football fan also). I've been to Rockingham and Darlington, and tried unsuccessfully for several years to get tickets to Bristol. Sittting 5 rows back of start/finish must have been awesome.:bigsmile:

Mark

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I use to worked with TranSouth Financial for many years and we sponsored the Darlington race for several years. My first race was at Darlington raceway back in 1985. We sat on one of the low rows and got rubber all over us, but it was pretty exciting. I could handle a low row at Bristol much easier... :yes:

We do talk some college football smack in our Chat Box during football season. I see North Carolina got Butch Davis for a new head coach. He will probably be very good for them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man how wild, My old sound man, Kenny Seigler lived in Swansboro, we actually put together a new band there in the mid eighties, practiced out in his barn, Played Atlantic Beach at a club called "Hoppys and "Big Surf", Actually we were at Atlantic Beach when Hurricane Diana came through, forced Evac so we holed up with some lady friends over in Newbern, Have you been to the Sand Barg party in the river??
Man I always loved the Emerald Ilse! Really is a small world!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mongrel- I came to the area in 1987 and don't remember the Hoppy's or Big Surf. Those places often change names though, so I may have been in or by them at some point. As to the sand bar, I'm guessing you mean in Swansboro where the White Oak River runs into Bogue Sound. There are several beaches and sand bar areas there which are accessible only by boat, always a good time and depending on the day and the crowd can either be very quiet and relaxing or can get a little crazy and wild. You're right, it's a small world.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts