Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a question about my Bose 501 series II's.
Miraculously the surrounds on the woofers are pristine, and sound pretty good, but the high end just disappeared on one of the cab's.
Is there any good guide for an amateur to try to sort out what's wrong with an old 70's xover, or should I just assume it's junk and swap it out?
(yeah, I checked internal wiring as well as I can, and see no obvious defects...)
Thanks very much!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a question about my Bose 501 series II's.
Miraculously the surrounds on the woofers are pristine, and sound pretty good, but the high end just disappeared on one of the cab's.
Is there any good guide for an amateur to try to sort out what's wrong with an old 70's xover, or should I just assume it's junk and swap it out?
(yeah, I checked internal wiring as well as I can, and see no obvious defects...)
Thanks very much!
Bose (for good reason) chooses to publish little information on their products. However I can make some guesses. I'm assuming your version of the 501's has two cone mid/tweeters and you hear little or nothing from either. This suggests an issue with the crossover. Without the advantage of published data, I'm going to assume they used electrolytic caps in their crossover. This is common in many commercial designs due to the low cost. Electrolytic caps tend to dry out and lose their ability to pass signals as they age. With a vintage product such as the 501's, this seems the most likely potential cause. I'd suggest you locate the crossover and replace the mid/tweeter capacitor(s) with equivalent values of polypropylene capacitors. Capacitors can be generally identified by verbiage indicating the value in microfarads and their working voltage. For example a 10uF 100V would indicate a 10 microfarad capacitor rated for a maximum of 100 volts. You certainly can replace them with electrolytic caps again if you wish, however the poly caps are almost universally accepted as having superior sonic performance.
Curt
Speaker Design Works

1 - 2 of 2 Posts