Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI HTS! :wave:

I was so close cracking open the paint cans. Thank you.
I was able to get most of my money back (lost some receipts) and never bought the surface.

So my question is now this, what do I do now? After reading through much of the seemingly well-deserved SF bashing, I'm lost when it comes to paint now and I'm hoping the influx of refugees hasn't jaded any who are able to help.

I have:
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen Size: 98" (can't find anything bigger than 4' x 8' at home depot)
Throw distance: 18'
Ceiling Color: Eggshell white
Wall color: pastel blue
Floor: Light gray carpet
Room lighting: Can filter out 80%-90% of light.

I've heard of sintra and that it can be bigger. I'm not so sure I'd want to get it though, given that the seating distance is 11'.

Room Pic

The screen, which I was planning on it being made of wood, will be free hanging from the ceiling in front of those windows on the left and the projector mounted either over the stairs or the office-loft on the right.
I was going for the SI Black Diamond Zero Edge look. (Edit: Just the thin bezel, not the screen's darkness. I was originally looking at the 3oz (3.0) colorant mix of the v2.5 formula)

Thanks for any input and the whole rescue thing. :blink:

·
Registered
279 Posts
My seating is at 12' and 138" a screen is great. The first thing you should do is watch a few movies on just your wall, and determine what screen size you like best. I'm not a believer in the guides, everyone is a little different. That said, you also want to consider if you'll have guests watching with you. My original screen was 12' (144"), and at 12' sitting distance my sister-in-law got queasy watching action movies. The small drop to 138" actually fixed that for her. (Might have been all in the mind...)

See what you like best. If guests will be watching, consider limiting size to .9 of seating distance. (Around 120" for your 11' seating distance.

The other thing to consider is ambient light and how accurate you want your color. if you can't completely control ambient and reflected light in your theater, you'll need to go gray as opposed to white with your screen. That will mean a smaller screen than would be possible with a white screen. If you're not a fanatic when it comes to color accuracy, Dynamic mode can be calibrated to give a good image. That will allow you to go bigger with your screen.

Before you can best judge your screen size, first decide what your theater will be like. Dark walls, floor, ceiling, furniture, ambient light control? The darker the better. Then decide on a paint that will work with your theater. Think about whether or not you want to calibrate dynamic mode. Then you can decide on a screen size.

If you can't improve your room over what is in your post, you'll absolutely need to go gray. So that's step one already! Now, which gray...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same projector with a 120" screen painted with Black Widow. I had to mount my projector at about 12' because it was a little too dark for me, I am using the natural mode calibrated with the Munsil and Spears disc. I have dark chocolate walls and I do not have any ambient light, if you will have a lot of ambient light then BW might be the best choice for you but I will the experts chime in. :bigsmile:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi audibleBLiNK, welcome to HTS! :wave:

You are welcome, glad you found us in time. :T In your case I would recommend an ~N8 neutral gray screen with a bit of sheen to raise the gain, but not enough to hot spot. The paints I would recommend are either Sherwin-Williams ProClassic interior latex enamel in satin finish tinted to Sherwin-Williams 'Unique Gray', or Valspar Ultra Premium interior latex in eggshell finish tinted to Behr 'Silver Screen'. With the brightness of your PJ and the close viewing distance I wouldn't recommend a mix that uses reflective particles to boost gain such as our Black Widow™ mix since a very few have noticed some graininess in the image under these conditions.

You state that you were thinking about using the SF v2.5 mix with 3 oz. of colorant. Unfortunately the SF mix developers have never done any actual gain or color testing of their mixes so I don't know what shade that mix really is. The problem is made worse in that even the SF developers can't agree on what the exact formula for SF is (which says a lot right there).

A N8 screen will be dark enough to provide some ambient light absorption, but still provide a bright enough image with the 15 fc of image brightness you will be getting with the 8350 in Living Room mode.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Another one saved! Spread the word! :T

We should probably think about getting a sign like they used to have at McDonald's. I think at this point it would have to be this:

"Over XX Hundred Saved"

:bigsmile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonderful, THANKS! I live 2 blocks from a Sherwin Williams and work next to an Interstate Plastics for my PVC foam board!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get something bigger than 48x96 (when cut to 16:9, it's a 98" screen")

To have anything bigger, Interstate requires I buy 500 pounds of it. =X

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Yeah, getting sheet goods in sizes larger than 4x8 can be a problem and when you do find them they are expensive.

A screen substrate that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves is vinyl flooring (you paint the back side). It can be used to make HUGE screens. If you're interested check out this thread - Mega Screen™ - Black Widow Flavor

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Interesting, painting on vinyl.
Most of the vinyl flooring I have seen has what looks like a thick paper backing on it. This is the surface that is painted as a screen.

Out of curiosity, could I paint on something like this and still roll it up?
People have painted retractable screens and reported success, but I have never tried it myself so I can only pass on their info. My concern is that the latex paint may or may not take well to repeated retraction/extension cycles since the paint isn't designed to do that much stretching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts