Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am Oneoldude, a retired old guy from beautiful Sarasota, Fl. Sorry for you folks who do not have the pleasure of living in paradise like I do. Hey, its paradise to me!

And I thank all who keep this forum alive-and-well and providing info to those who need it. Like me! Now, about me:

I've been messing with audio, stereo, etc. since the late 1950's. I did my first audio measurements with the "IMP" back in the old days. I am one of those who built the original IMP MLS system. It was accurate and had the best user manual on audio measurement that I have ever seen. Everyone should read it. I still have the IMP and the manual. It runs on DOS. Remember that? Maybe one day I will load up an old laptop with DOS and give IMP a go again. It was awesome.

Throughout the years I have built and messed with some nice speakers. From ceiling to floor ESLs to a variety of boom boxes. I built the original D'Appolito 4 box system published in the Audio Amateur way back when. It was very strong throughout, especially at volume. It was extremely clean for its time. I even got D'Appolito to kindly calibrate a 61A capsule for me. I still have it today, and it still works great. Over the years I have had the pleasure of going to a few CESs and met Linkwitz (SL) and his wife, as well as Nelson Pass, and others. SL was a sincere, direct and honest fellow and a real genius in the field of loudspeakers. He is, and will continue to be, missed.

Right now I am trying to work up a "relatively" low cost but potent dipole along SL's ideas. I have decided to try to use the Dayton Audio DSP-408 to handle crossovers and eq. I have measured the 408 and it is quite flat 20-20K with low THD+noise. See the image below. It is an inexpensive unit with configurable 4 inputs to 8 channels for outputs. Each channel has 10 Parametric Eqs available. Two of the PEqs may be used for shelving hp or shelving lp filters. If both shelves are used, that still leaves 8 PEqs left for that channel. And best of all, at least theoretically, REW can be used to program the DSP. I say theoretically because the DSP-408 is not listed as being specifically dealt with by REW. I tried using the REW Equalizer on the "generic" setting, but it did not use the available shelving filters. These are ideal for eq'ing dipole loss or half to full space loss etc. So I wonder if REW will ever include the 408? Also, does anyone know if a listed dsp is closer to the 408 than the generic one so that it may model shelving filters as well as PEqs? If so, which one?

Well that is a bit about me and what I am looking for at this time. Also below you can see the measurement of the DSP-408. Look at the Thd and noise numbers. Also see my version of the SL Phoenix and my current test mule.

DSP-408.PNG

My Phoenix.jpg

My Mule.PNG
ent test mule. Wish me luck!

Oneoldude

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops,

I need a little practice to get the posting right, Also, although I am Oneoldude, the site would not let me sign up as that. Perhaps I signed up years ago and could not remember the stuff necessary to reup my old account. In any event, Monkeysee = Oneoldude FWIW.

Thanks for any help.

Oneoldude/Monkeysee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts