Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving on with preparation for round 3 of our floorstanding speaker evaluations.

Previous rounds:

The Official $2,500 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event Results

This round will be considered our $3,000 round, where the speaker MSRP per pair will be a minimum of $2,500 and a maximum of $3,500... once again, floorstanding only.

Below are the speakers nominated for this round as they are updated, including those that were in the voting for the last round.

No code has to be inserted here.*MSRP rounded to the nearest $100.

We will run nominations through December 15th and open the voting poll on December 16th... probably run it through January 15th. This will give us plenty of time to check with manufacturers/distributors and get speakers lined up... get them in had early to make sure there is no shipping damage to the mechanical operation of the speaker. We anticipate having this evaluation the end of February or the beginning for March... all tentative at this point.

Unlike previous events, these floorstanding speakers can be any color, we will not limit them to a non-sheen black. While we will ask for the lowest priced finish to be sent to us, they can be piano black or wood veneer or any color offered. HOWEVER, for the sake of keeping the price range at a minimum of $2,500 and maximum of $3,500... the lowest priced finish is the MSRP we will consider.

NOTE: Klipsch and ProAc do not wish to participate and their speakers will not be considered for nomination.

We will only evaluate 6 pairs of speakers... no surprises and no other reviews... strictly 6 speakers. Therefore, we will take the top 6 speakers with highest votes among the nominated speakers. If either of the companies refuse to send us speakers, we will take the next highest voted speaker.

Please provide a link to the speakers you are nominating at the manufacturer's website if possible.

Let the nominations begin!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
That continues to be a real shame with Klipsch. The La Scalas would have been a serious contender in this event. Too bad they have thumb'd us. At this price point, their quality becomes apparent. Boy I wish they would reconsider.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It makes sense that we only allow one speaker from each company in the voting poll, otherwise we could end up with two speakers from the same company in the evaluation, and we do not want that to happen, for so many obvious reasons. Nor do I imagine that any company is going to send us two different pair to compete against each other for obvious reasons.

If it ends up being the consensus, we can swap this SC model for the RT model we have listed right now.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having briefly heard a speaker with a RAAL tweeter recently, my fingers are crossed for the Ascend (or Salk) to be there. That tweeter really sings!
The Salks were third highest voted that were not included last time, so I am thinking we may have two different speakers with a RAAL.

Both are already on the list. :T

·
Registered
26 Posts
It makes sense that we only allow one speaker from each company in the voting poll, otherwise we could end up with two speakers from the same company in the evaluation, and we do not want that to happen, for so many obvious reasons. Nor do I imagine that any company is going to send us two different pair to compete against each other for obvious reasons.

If it ends up being the consensus, we can swap this SC model for the RT model we have listed right now.
I completely understand and had overlooked the Salk on the $2,500 list. With the upgraded Seas Excel W15 midwoofers, I think that the SC seems likely to be a substantive improvement over the RT. I can also withdraw this submission and substitute one from another maker, if you think that would make things simpler.

EDIT: For simplicity's sake, I'll alter my submission in my original post to the Philharmonic 3 Tower.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess the first post is confusing in some way?

Those do not fall into the qualifying range.

I completely understand and had overlooked the Salk on the $2,500 list. With the upgraded Seas Excel W15 midwoofers, I think that the SC seems likely to be a substantive improvement over the RT. I can also withdraw this submission and substitute one from another maker, if you think that would make things simpler.

EDIT: For simplicity's sake, I'll alter my submission in my original post to the Philharmonic 3 Tower.
These will be no different, as Philharmonic is already on the list. We will need a consensus on which ones to include, but it does make sense in both cases to go with the best model in that price range.

im going with the underdog again my vote tekton seas pendragon.
These are also already on the list.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Given Focal was in the first round I'm going to nominate their brand new line, the Aria. The 926 are $3,300 msrp (I believe) so they fit right in the criteria. I got a call from my local shop last week that these are in and they want me to come help break them in, :) Beautiful speakers and I'm guessing they'll sound amazing too. So there's my vote.

Scott

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I think where there are more than one potential candidate from a manufacturer, it will largely depend on that manufacturer to decide which product they think will best represent their brand, or which they have available.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I would add the Thiel SCS4T since we are going up to $3500. I am very curious to hear the coincident driver and I have always been a fan of Thiel's work.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Philharmonic Audio "Philharmonic 3" Tower @ $3300/pair:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/folio-me/html/Phil%20Pages/phil3.html
I think we might stick with the Slim model for this event. The 3 model might be more than we can manhandle in and out of the room. They might need a review on their own.

Given Focal was in the first round I'm going to nominate their brand new line, the Aria. The 926 are $3,300 msrp (I believe) so they fit right in the criteria. I got a call from my local shop last week that these are in and they want me to come help break them in, :) Beautiful speakers and I'm guessing they'll sound amazing too. So there's my vote.

Scott
Added to the list.

I would add the Thiel SCS4T since we are going up to $3500. I am very curious to hear the coincident driver and I have always been a fan of Thiel's work.
Added to the list.

Soundfield Audio Variable Sound Field Tower 1

http://soundfieldaudio.net/Products.html
Added to the list.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about some Paradigms. I love their look and would love to see how they stack up.
http://www.paradigm.com/products/type=tower/model=signature-s6/page=overview
The Studio 60 is the only thing that fits and we just did those. The S6 model is $6,600/pair.

id love to see a review of the totem acoustic hawk model.they would defo fit the price range for this.
Added

--------------

Keep in mind that just because they are nominated does not mean they will be voted into the round. You can almost expect the more popular and well known models are probably going to get the most votes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.