Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thank you sir. By the way, I noticed you were looking at tube amps in an earlier thread. Do you find them a good fit for home theater, or is this strictly a 2 channel situation?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
It would probably be better to ask me in that thread, but I have not tried any tube gear for home theater at this point and have no plans to.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I think we need a speaker championship series. It would take data from the speaker coaches poll, Sonnie Power Ranking, Strength of scheduled playlist, and a few other factors to determine the #1 and #2 speakers. These two speakers would then face off in the Kimber Kable speaker championship series national championship listening room.

The other speakers would be face each other head to head based on listening room preferences and picking order, except for the Big 10" woofer speakers and Packaged 12 inch woofer speakers, which automatically go to the Rose colored glasses listening room (unless one of them is in the aforementioned championship listening room).

What could be simpler? :D
My main concern would be, as would Sonnie's I am sure, that any special teams, such as a field goal kicking team, would have the ability to effectively defend against a potential run back. I am told that this can be a problem for some field goal kicking teams. Thoughts, Sonnie?

If the sweet spots are relatively close, this might would work, if you can get the speakers side by side, but if one speaker is behind another, the one in the front is going to negatively influence the sound of the one in the back (obviously) because it is in the path of the speaker being tested. I have recently tried the side by side A/B comparison (using a remote) with a pair of speakers that have relatively similar best placements in my room (each one sacrificed slightly). The problem was with one placement the speaker on the outside always seemed to be my favorite each time I swapped them. I could move them farther out so that the inside would always be the best, but I could not find a happy median to make it fair. There is really no perfect way to evaluate speakers in an A/B type testing scenario because of placement issues. I suppose if you have a pair that had best placement 3' outside of another pair's best placement... and the inside speakers were just slightly behind the plane of the outside speakers, it might would work, but we are not finding this scenario often, if any that I can recall. However, even with them side by side we get into it being more of a speaker shootout (see my comments above).
There are already many deep thoughts and posts going back and forth on this topic, believe me. We are not just comparing speakers, we are finding each speaker's best possible set up, which means having it alone in the room. How to turn this into a meaningful AB test is beyond difficult. As Sonnie has said, when you set up another speaker nearby, it disrupts the sound field of both, affecting imaging and sound stage. Typical speaker AB testing that you read about involves multiple sets of speakers, none of which have been set up for optimum sound. The result is to put them all on an equally mediocre footing, which hardly seems worth taking the trouble to do at all. We are working to understand the variables as well as can be done. And to my knowledge, there is very little that has been done in the field at this level of detail.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I may not have realized this.

What are outriggers? What about the LFR660 that cost a little more?
Bottom supports for the speaker instead of spike's......similar to what Thiel offers.

You could go with LFR660 but now your adding DSP along with more amplification.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
My main concern would be, as would Sonnie's I am sure, that any special teams, such as a field goal kicking team, would have the ability to effectively defend against a potential run back. I am told that this can be a problem for some field goal kicking teams. Thoughts, Sonnie?
Hmmm... gimme one second!

Bottom supports for the speaker instead of spike's......similar to what Thiel offers.

You could go with LFR660 but now your adding DSP along with more amplification.
We have plenty of amplification... and if the DSP is built-in, that is not a problem. Just thinking they would be a slightly higher end model that might fare better... but that is merely a guess based on what I read and the price.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hmmm... gimme one second!

We have plenty of amplification... and if the DSP is built-in, that is not a problem. Just thinking they would be a slightly higher end model that might fare better... but that is merely a guess based on what I read and the price.
Not really sure if I would consider that more of a high end model.........they are both about the same price. The m100 is geared more towards 2 channel where the m660 omnidirectional. I'm thinking better bass with the m100 and wider soundstage with m660. Hey,only a suggestion your choice.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
We reviewed the M80's and the LFR1100's. The guy that reviewed the LFR1100's owned the M80's and said he preferred the M80's for HT and the LFR's for music. He had pretty good things to say about the LFR's and how much better they were than the M80's... so we'll go with the LFR660's and see if they can get enough votes to make the round.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I figure it might be hard to get a hold of the Wharfdale Jade 5 being a UK speaker. I like to look at whathifi.com once in a while, but it is really hard to audition most of those UK speakers in the US.
Well the Quad 25L is definitely hard to come buy - but the Jade 5 is actually sold by MusicDirect.com for 3199.00 a pair. That's what I find strange - I can find several Wharfedale dealers but no Quad dealers :justdontknow:. They are owned by the same parent company.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Sound Approach in Virginia has them in stock. Gold Sound in Colorado. kemela in Atlanta, Georgia.

I am wondering if Quad has gone out of business... their website (http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/) has been inaccessible for several days now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We reviewed the M80's and the LFR1100's. The guy that reviewed the LFR1100's owned the M80's and said he preferred the M80's for HT and the LFR's for music. He had pretty good things to say about the LFR's and how much better they were than the M80's... so we'll go with the LFR660's and see if they can get enough votes to make the round.
If you use the LFR660 I hope you are going to get the high power version. When you evaluated the LFR1100's that was with the previous woofer and the same for M80's the old woofer along with the older crossover. The new M80's are only shipping now. The M80's come in 2 version's just as the LRF660 do. This is why I suggested M100 only one version.:huh:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I would think the high powered version would be the one to get with the XPR-5 power and room to spare on cost.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would think the high powered version would be the one to get with the XPR-5 power and room to spare on cost.
Getting ready to vote and I see you have the regular Axiom M660 not the high power I suggested which goes for $3200.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
If it is a built-in DSP we can add it, but it does not appear this is. The DSP is a separate unit.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If it is a built-in DSP we can add it, but it does not appear this is. The DSP is a separate unit.
This has nothing to do with the DSP. Axiom has always been criticized by some for poor quality in their parts. Axiom is now offering a new 61/2 woofer and crossover in certain models. The regular version of M660 is about $2800 the high power version with the different 61/2 woofers and crossover is $3200.

Axiom is offering what they consider a more "stereo" pair the M100. You cannot get confused with that model because it only comes with the new woofer's and crossover. It's suppose to be their top 2 channel model which starts at $2700.

Axiom has been reviewed so many times and the reviewer's either love em or hate them. Why not review the newer woofer's? Can we justify Axiom's price increase for the new drivers. How would they stack up against other $3000 models. My original suggestion was the M100 because it's only one version about $2700. Add outriggers another $250 and your around $3000. We could forgo the outriggers get wood veneer for another $500 and it would look more like a $3000 speaker. How do the new driver's compare against the competition and are they worth the added expense? ( In the case of the M80 the price starts out at either $1500 or $2300. That's a significant price difference. Is the extra $700 worth it?) You mentioned one of The Shack's reviewer's owns LFR1100 and he steered you towards M660. Is he going to be on the panel? If so I would think he would have an idea on how the new woofers compare.

I have no vested interest in Axiom. I do use their speaker's in one of my home theater systems. The other home theater system feature's Paradigm and another Polk. When I do serious listening, I listen to my two channel system which currently features the Legacy Focus SE.

Funny, I wrote all these reply's trying to get it right and the Axiom's might not even make the cut.
Cheers

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
We don't consider finishes for the MSRP... we take the lowest priced finish and use that MSRP. I have changed it to be the HP version. I initially was not seeing the option which is why I thought it had to do with the DSP, since you mentioned it earlier. Anyway... the HP version is at $3,200, so it makes sense they expect it to perform better than the M100 at $2,700.

And no... none of us on the panel have review Axiom speakers... and our previous reviewer had no influence on what speakers we nominate. We simply want to try to nominate the higher priced model in that range from $2,500 to $3,500. Driver upgrades are fine, but finishes do not make them sound any different, so we do not consider those. We see driver upgrades as performance upgrades and finishes as cosmetic luxury upgrades.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.