Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still learning this stuff, so appreciate any basic "rules of thumb" when buying a receiver, especially now that I own Polk RS60i and RC65i in-walls. Their specs:

•frequency response 60-20,000 Hz (-3dB)
•8-ohm impedance
•sensitivity 89 dB
•handles up to 100 watts

What do these specs mean for my receiver purchase? If I get a receiver that only has 80 watts per channel, am I not fully using my speakers? Would buying 120 Watts per channel be a waste?

My budget is $350-450. I'd also need 5.1 with a zone 2 that could have 1) a "party mode" to stream music to all seven speakers or 2) send TV/blueray to the 5.1 and stereo music to the zone 2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Still learning this stuff, so appreciate any basic "rules of thumb" when buying a receiver, especially now that I own Polk RS60i and RC65i in-walls. Their specs:

•frequency response 60-20,000 Hz (-3dB)
•8-ohm impedance
•sensitivity 89 dB
•handles up to 100 watts

What do these specs mean for my receiver purchase? If I get a receiver that only has 80 watts per channel, am I not fully using my speakers? Would buying 120 Watts per channel be a waste?

My budget is $350-450. I'd also need 5.1 with a zone 2 that could have 1) a "party mode" to stream music to all seven speakers or 2) send TV/blueray to the 5.1 and stereo music to the zone 2.

Thanks!
:wave: Astro2001,
Those are good questions to ask and I will do my best to help and I'm sure others will too.

The Polk speaker specs are in the normal range, most receivers should have no issues driving them. Buying a receiver with more W per channel is better than trying to match the speaker max W, meaning having a receiver that can do 120w with all channel driven gives you more headroom in the receiver.

Some more info may help too.
Size of room -
Do you have a Sub -
How loud do you like to listen to music or movies

Hope this helps, until more knowledgeable members reply.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you reply. Here is a layout of the room with some rough dimensions... it is fairly large by my standards and has 11' ceilings.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to answer your other question... yes, I'll have a 150W powered sub.

I'll mainly be listening to streaming music, TV, and kids type DVDs in this space.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion.

As I shop around for a receiver, I'm trying to understand "The Basic" rules of thumb given the speakers I have (80 watts) and large room space.

If I buy a receiver that is 120 watts, could I potentially damage the 80 watt speakers when my kids crank up the volume)?

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
If you drive a amplifier past it's recommended power rating and it goes into clipping you can damage your speakers. If you have more power than your speakers are rated for and you drive them beyond their recommended power rating you have a better chance of not damaging them. Now I am not saying to drive a 100w speaker with a 500w amp to around 400w... If you do that for long you will damage your speaker. What I am saying is clean power (not clipping) is ok to exceed the power ratings. I have driven speakers with double the recommended power ratings with no problem but I was not clipping.
The main reason you want more power is safely hit your peaks without clipping.

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I think I am following.

Given my current room size, do you think my current set-up (80w speakers, 150w sub, and maybe 120w receiver) leave me wishing I had gone with a bit more power?

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
I try to go with as much power as I can afford.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, I think I am following.

Given my current room size, do you think my current set-up (80w speakers, 150w sub, and maybe 120w receiver) leave me wishing I had gone with a bit more power?
:eek:lddude: astro,
This hobby is addicting and never ending, meaning we are always wishing for more, more power, more speakers/better speakers and better gear. My 1st set up was a Colby HTiB that cost around $50.oo and came w/ 40w (speakers) and a passive sub. Shortly after I hooked up those whimpy 40w speaker to a 110w receiver, used them for about 3yrs:yikes: w/o any issues other than they really sucked at producing Q sound. Astro, you have nothing to worry about, except the upgrade bug and :spend: a lot chasing bigger and better sound. So once you get this system together, sit back and enjoy all of your hard work :hsd: with those Polk speakers.

Sincerely,
hyghwayman

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts