Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
There is a very good old movie that I've used for many years for testing changes made to the audio side.. It has excellent surround sound and covers just about every square metre of the room..
It's one of the few movies that projects sound right up to your face..Infact you can almost believe that you're going to drown!!
Good thunder and lightning and roaring sounds with some pretty dramatic explosions thrown in as well..
The movie is Deep Blue Sea...but don't watch it if "Jaws" turned your stomach!!

The difference being that Jaws was a great movie and was scary.

·
Registered
511 Posts
White noise was pretty scary sound wise, but sucked otherwise.

There are a lot and I can't remember all of them, but 300 rocks some pretty good sound. I only have an IMAX theater to compare to, but it makes my system work pretty hard, especially with the epic soundtrack. Sweet movie. If I hit the powerball, Im gonna build an IMAX theater and watch 300 everyday after work.

A

·
0 Posts
The subtle soundtrack of 'Apocalypto' is my favourite demo track. Not to mention the lush image. You are constantly IN the jungle. Try it, it's awesome.
That is a good soundtrack...do you have the dolby digital and does a dts soundtrack exist of that film?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I can't remember, it's been a while. I'll check it out.

BTW, I was setting up my new subwoofer today, a SVS PB12/2 and tried the infamous 'Jurassic lunch' clip from Jurassic Park III... It literally knocked my breath out, what a wild subwoofer. I'm definetly getting another one! ;)

A

·
0 Posts
I can't remember, it's been a while. I'll check it out.

BTW, I was setting up my new subwoofer today, a SVS PB12/2 and tried the infamous 'Jurassic lunch' clip from Jurassic Park III... It literally knocked my breath out, what a wild sobwoofer. I'm definetly getting another one! ;)
I actually haven't tried that scene out yet but if it's like the TRex scene in the first one it should pressurize the room nicely, even with my humble PB10-NSD :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You should try it, it's truly reference when it comes to low-end oomph. Two huge lizards really go at each other, stomping around. You feel the weight of the animals real nice. Really add another dimension to the experience.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I forgot about Event Horizon in DTS. Whoo! Frightening film to say the least.

T

·
0 Posts
We just watched X-Men 3 via Blu-Ray which is actually in 6.1... Both my wife & I were blown away!:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

TG

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Day after Tomorrow BluRay has some serious audio. The DTS master audio 7.1 was really good with lows in the 15Hz range.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Since I got BluRay, I have a lot more spectacular soundtracks to show off with. I think all my Blu titles have great sound, but 3:10 to Yuma and Crank stick out in memory. Of course theres also Live Free or Die Hard, but that's a given.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
I'll toss in a couple that are almost always overlooked.
Monster has a great 5.1 soundtrack
Star Trek: Nemesis looks fantastic and has an excellent DTS track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Remake of "Flight of the Phoenix"

When setting up our 35mm surround system we had the trailer for it, it was very impressive ( they always mix those trailers right up to the redline ). So I bought the
DVD and the first 15 minutes or so is a must have for showing off your system. The
plane coming apart and crashing is amazing. I can keep playing it over and over.
Plus you get to see 'House' without his limp and speaking the Queens English, his
character is still a prick.

Later
Rich

21 - 40 of 178 Posts