Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I like to ask this question:
What is the best tool for writing?

...an instrument, paper and pencil, portable recorder, ...
That would be up to the writer. This is one area that there is no wrong answer. If the end result is a great piece of music then mission accomplished. :T

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know a guy who came to the studio and had is whole song text written on 5 or 6 different piece of paper, and on his hands.

Gave him a break to write it down on 1 paper, but actually he performed better when it was on his hands and all around the live room.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool!

I am walking/working/reading this forum/listening to some music/or just doing whatever...and suddenly I have an idea. I can always record that idea into a Dictaphone/small recorder...and back in the studio I can use it/or trash it...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tend to be in the computer more than anything so I have the capability to record something or jot it down and save it for later. On occasion I've started to write using a software program, but rarely.

Anyone find themselves using software significantly more than the traditional method to write?

Ryan, I too have called myself to leave a voice mail...quite a few times. It works very well!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know one guy (guitarist) who never writes down or records anything....his theory is that if you can't remember it the next day, it wasn't any good :D

I've got a voice recorder on my mp3 player that comes in handy for humming melodies when I'm out and about.

I also use Ableton Live's session view when writing parts - it lends itself very well to messing around with things quickly..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Generally i dont have time to open up my DAW and set up a mic so ill just pop open a dinky audio recorder like the sound recorder that comes with windows and just play it/hum it into the built in mic. i have hundreds of little melodies and riffs just sitting on my hard drive.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know one guy (guitarist) who never writes down or records anything....his theory is that if you can't remember it the next day, it wasn't any good :D

I've got a voice recorder on my mp3 player that comes in handy for humming melodies when I'm out and about.

I also use Ableton Live's session view when writing parts - it lends itself very well to messing around with things quickly..
jonathanm, the guitarist indeed has his own theory.
Well, in my experience a "idea book" (recorded comments/melodies) IS a very valuable tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts