Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have not posted in a long time and wanted to share some of my experiences with you. I try many different pieces of equipment in my theater just for curiosity and trying to get that extra something. Sometimes I succeed and other times I just waste money. I have owned many subs and other pieces of equipment and as I changed things out I have figured some things out. My favorite commercial subs that I have had experience with are Klipsch THX ultra 2 subs with amps and dual SVS 16-46cs+ subs with Samson amps. The bass was great with these subs and the performance was similar in my room. I then tried some pro subs that did not have as flat as a curve but the power from 20-80hz(my crossover) was amazing. I used to hit 115 db's with the other 2 subs from 16-80hz at my listening position and I would hit 110 db's at 15 hz with the pro subs and 125 db's from 20-80hz. Once I felt the 125 db's it was all over for me. So I called SVS wanting to know what would it take to reach these levels with the 16-46cs+ and the cost was too great. My goal was to reach 125 db's from 15-80hz. Ed at SVS pointed me toward DIY and sonosubs for a cheap solution. I ended up building four 6 feet tall and 24 inches round sonosubs using the elemental designs 190v.2 drivers which is 18 inches. I tuned them to 13.4 hz and in my room(a 2300 cubic foot room with great room gain) would extend down to 10 hz and I reached my goal. I called those my silo missles. I kept reading and hearing how great sealed subs sound and how in a sealed room could naturally extend down to 5 hz with good gain which I knew I had(after owning the pro subs). So I cut my sono's in half and ordered 4 more eD 18 inch drivers. I built 8 sealed 24 inch tall and 24 inch round(same sono) subs and I am using 4 behringer ep-2500 amps running in stereo with a 2 ohm load. I do like the sound overall and the bass seems not as powerful but then I took out the spl meter and I was over 126 db's no matter what scene I played. I am very happy and do get flat extension down to 5 hz. Here are some pics of the black canons which I have 2 in every corner.

It started with these, the silo missles.

So I turned them into these:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Holy ! this looks like the future of home theater.

Kidding (refering to the time stamp on the pics)

It does look quite impressive though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, you are not the first with the future comment. I still have not corrected the date on that camera. I would love someone near me to come by so I can have a reference point from someone else.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the best part is that I can use all the amps I need(not really, I have them turned down,way down) because the graphs I posted have no filters or EQ whatsoever.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I used to run pro subs that can hit 110 db's at 15 hz and they were tuned to 25 hz so I knew this room had some serious gain at the low end. Even without it my sealed subs would be flat to 15 hz which is still great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, If the rack was not in that corner I would have done all 4 corners like that. I am still thinking about putting 3 stacked in front for 6 in front total with 2 in the back corners.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the name. I am really loving the sonotube builds. Looks like you have done a wonderful job of controlling sound and lighting in that room.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
WOW, I love that setup.:T I also love it when someone posts some pics of a room like this because I show it too the wife and tell her I am not as nuts with my room as she thinks....:clap:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts