Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to start a thread where we all divulge our deepest held Audio Visual secrets...music, movie, or equipment oriented. Anything goes. Let's hear it!

I'll kick it off:

1) I took my kids to see Taylor Swift last night and loved the concert! That's saying something for my musical tastes.

2) Last year I removed the cable box from my Home Theater Room. Total video snob move. It's 100% Blu-ray or no way. :T (although I do have a 50ft HDMI cable running from an adjacent room just for emergencies. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You thought right , Todd! Honesty. What a concept! It's what this site is founded on. I'll throw a couple in for good measure:
  1. I heard a song on my car radio and liked it so much I made a quick detour to the closest music store. (Karma was its name-o!). But when I played the song at home on my then modest 2ch rig, it sounded horrible. The CD wound up in the stacks and found its way back into rotation to see if it had morphed into something better than it was. No dice. Then it struck me: if I enjoyed it in the car so much the first time, why not return there ? Maybe the magic would, too. Loved it! Moral: sometimes the little guys win!
  2. After cleaning behind the equipment stand and reseating connectors--the plug/unplug action gently scrapes away oxidation and/or grunge--no sound came from the right channel. Spent over an hour tracking the problem to a digital out connected to an analog in. They were physically located to look like a vertically-oriented L/R pair when in reality, they were really side-by-side. No damage resulted, except to my ego, which was promptly repaired when my wife reminded me that I did manage to find the problem! Bwess hurh widdle hawt!

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[*]After cleaning behind the equipment stand and reseating connectors--the plug/unplug action gently scrapes away oxidation and/or grunge--no sound came from the right channel. Spent over an hour tracking the problem
[/LIST]
The tracking part....

ugh. We've all been there! It's like losing your keys, but worse!:devil:

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a thread that I tried to start a few years ago... thought it would be fun to revive it.

Come on folks... I know you have some dark AV secrets to share.

I'll drop one:

I still have a 720 Plasma running in my living room! :)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I was forced to buy the regular Blu-ray version of 13 Hours. I now feel like I'm buying VHS quality when I buy regular Blu-rays. I feel like a snob. :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hmmm, let me think.

Well, My wife thinks Im crazy but I love playing the old 8bit games from my old Apple IIGS and Amiga. Ive got those machines set up in a room in the basement and play regularly Chpoplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Cannonball blitz, Scortched tanks, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, Beyond castle wolfinstine and the list goes on.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, let me think.

Well, My wife thinks Im crazy but I love playing the old 8bit games from my old Apple IIGS and Amiga. Ive got those machines set up in a room in the basement and play regularly Chpoplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Cannonball blitz, Scortched tanks, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, Beyond castle wolfinstine and the list goes on.
Castle Wolfenstine on the the Atari 800 was/is one of my all time favorites! I often wish I could play it... probably has been 30 year or so since I have.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Hmmm, let me think. Well, My wife thinks Im crazy but I love playing the old 8bit games from my old Apple IIGS and Amiga. Ive got those machines set up in a room in the basement and play regularly Chpoplifter, Hard Hat Mack, Cannonball blitz, Scortched tanks, Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio, Beyond castle wolfinstine and the list goes on.
Awe man. I use to love Choplifter!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I guess the only thing I could confess to is that I have not upgraded a single item in my HT since I bought my Sony PJ two years ago. This will be the longest stretch ever but I have lots of other hobbies and frankly needed to get off the never ending string of "incremental HT upgrades" I was on. Definitely reached the level of diminishing returns. I have however simply enjoyed the HT and cannot believe it recently had its 10th anniversary. That's a decade of use and thousands of hours of enjoyment. Still use it nearly daily as I do not relegate it to just movies but do enjoy watching sporting events on the big screen as much or more. My daughter and I have been watching the Women's College World Series and it has been a lot of fun. She hopes to play softball in college some day. That will be sooner rather than later since she is heading into her Junior year of HS.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love Dig Dug! I'd like to track-down an old Dig Dug upright and get it in my home for a while....

I don't remember lemonade stand... will have to look at some pictures to see if I can jog my memory.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess the only thing I could confess to is that I have not upgraded a single item in my HT since I bought my Sony PJ two years ago. This will be the longest stretch ever but I have lots of other hobbies and frankly needed to get off the never ending string of "incremental HT upgrades" I was on. Definitely reached the level of diminishing returns. I have however simply enjoyed the HT and cannot believe it recently had its 10th anniversary. That's a decade of use and thousands of hours of enjoyment. Still use it nearly daily as I do not relegate it to just movies but do enjoy watching sporting events on the big screen as much or more. My daughter and I have been watching the Women's College World Series and it has been a lot of fun. She hopes to play softball in college some day. That will be sooner rather than later since she is heading into her Junior year of HS.
No shame in running good sounding gear... more or less a testament to your amazing ability to resist upgradeitis! ;-)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
[Me] Hi, my name is Lou...

[Group] Hi, Lou.

[Me] ...and I'm a bass-a-holic.

[Group] Ahhhhhhh!

[Me] But I've been living with less-than-optimal EQ and setup. I yearn for the day when I can upgrade my room from a 10x12 cell and possibly add a second sub. I'd also like to trade a few Hz on the low end of my ported sub for the tighter bass offered by a sealed unit (or is that an audio myth?).

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
[group member willis] hi Lou, welcome. I am wearing my armor today so I'm not afraid to tell you, ol buddy, that is a myth. As long as the bass system is designed AND executed in accordingly there is no reason ported subs can't be equally "musical". Theoretically sealed subs can dig deeper due to room gain, but the point at which room gain takes effect is dictated by the longest wall in the room. It also takes multiples of power and excursion to achieve. Sorry if I put lead in your balloon as it seemed to be filled with helium. Lol
Ok. Ready to be shelled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
[group member willis] hi Lou, welcome. I am wearing my armor today so I'm not afraid to tell you, ol buddy, that is a myth. As long as the bass system is designed AND executed in accordingly there is no reason ported subs can't be equally "musical". Theoretically sealed subs can dig deeper due to room gain, but the point at which room gain takes effect is dictated by the longest wall in the room. It also takes multiples of power and excursion to achieve. Sorry if I put lead in your balloon as it seemed to be filled with helium. Lol
Ok. Ready to be shelled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone had their breakfast this morning!

Lou: If I were you, I'd run out immediately and buy a second sub. 10x12 = plenty of space for two subs! :R:hsd:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts