Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

The easiest portable gain knob

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lcaillo 
#1 ·
Hello all!
My good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone.....first post here!!

I am searching the easiest and cheapest way to add a gain amplifier into my car. The radio system has an Aux Input, but the signal coming either from ipod or iphone 4 is really low when diffused by the speaker.

So I was looking for a small device to add some gain prior to get into the Aux In.
Something battery powered maybe...

I just need some cues where to search at and, especially, which particular device.
I have fair soldering skills but Electronics noob.....

Thanks so much in advance, d^_^b
my best regards
(=gg=)

#3 ·
I would stop by your local specialty stereo shop to see what they carry. If you can't find anything to suit your needs locally I would look into a line driver, either Audio Control or Phoenix Gold, or many other reputable companies.

In my experience those devices need to have the volume up fairly high without using some sort of signal amplifier.

#4 ·
I always set the output volume of my ipod(nano) or iphone4 to the maximum.....but it is still too much quiet even with maximum volume on the car's amplifier.

I suspect that the aux in needs to be driven by a hotter signal than the one developed by my ipod/iphone.

Anyway, I was looking for something really cheesy and battery operated (like 2 "AA") or DC in (car's 12V) maybe DIY, but I don't know where to start.

Also those companies, I suspect, should be difficult to find here in Italy....any other recommendations?
so far....thanks a lot!
GiGi
d^_^b

#5 ·
Greetings, ! Thank you for joining Home Theater Shack!

Most car audio preamps will be in the form of equalizers but someone must make a preamp for this application. Search for car audio preamp, ipod preamp, line amplifier, or some combination of those terms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.