Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright, here's the deal.

Most of you have already read my 35 sim build thread for my RE Audio SX18 woofer in a 6ft sealed box.

I'm almost at the finally if weather can actually warm up a bit and allow me to work outside.

Now, I have found a very good deal online for another box exactly like mine but with an older 18 inch from Mach audio, the IXL 18.4.

Its built exactly like mine but the drivers model a bit differently. The Mach5 has a slight increase (3db) in almost everything under 50hz and its the opposite above it.

My intention is to have my DHC 80.1 handle that slight difference.

I'm using an EP2000 amplifer bridged on my RE audio right now and it sounds great.

Should I buy another amp to drive the mach 5 or use the same for both.

That would net me 400w per woofer vs 799 measured if I used 2 amps.

At worst if it sounds too terrible I will sell the RE audio and get another mach 5 driver to fill the hole.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
While you lose 3db from the one sub, you are gaining a complete second driver. A 3db drop is a very slight change, but the addition of the second sub will be a very significant gain, so you'll probably never run to the point where you miss the "last watt." Plus the benefits of smoothing the room response by adding the second sub: IMHO it's a no-brainer- go for it! (You can always add the other amp later if you find the need.)

Tom

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
3db is a slight change? Actually, if you deliver the same power, adding the other sub is going to give you a 3dB increase.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All very valid points.

I got the subwoofer now, paid 100$ for the woofer inside a box like the one I built... go figure.

The guy was in a small appt. He used to have a home theater in his basement and moved out of the house. Hadn't been turned on in over a year.

It looks brand new and has no finishing on it, still on MDF. So I'm pretty lucky because I will finish both the exact same way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts