Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the first Acoupower 18" subwoofer,the second is in the assembly/glue/clamp stage.

The cabinet was made using five sheets of ply,this includes one sheet of Baltic Birch for two layers of the baffle and two laters of the back panel.

Baffle is 3 inches thick,4 pieces of 3/4" ply and the back as well as the sides are 1.5" thick. All braces each ~8 inches,matrix braced. As inert as a brick,to resonating parts to be found.The cabinet is lined with absorbing dense foam.

Wiring standard copper 10GA cable,soldered on Puresonic banana connectors(to the driver) and PE insulated binding posts on PE black square plate.Plate is flush mounted,driver coutersunk 3mm to expose some basket as fit is snug.Eight large bolts hold the driver.

The cabinet stands on four large rubber feet from PE.

For those who do not know I have two Acoupower 18" drivers...

Here is the back of the cabinet...

So so picture does not to justice,the cabinet was sanded for several hours and the wood grain has a 3D depth when light is directed on the front and back.The sides and top are matte,also sanded.

Placed in its resting position...

One more to go on top. ~230lbs with driver mounted. Not that heavy,the last MDF cabinet I did was ~ 200lbs empty.Quality ply birch all the way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds great,after PEQ ...and a few tweaks...reference class bass. The QSC PL380 has enough juice to power the Acoupower with one channel with ease.

Anyone who wonders if these ACoupower are worth the asking price...YOU BET THEY ARE.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Any notable differences either in sound, dbl, power handling, SQ, etc. from your other driver/box combinations?
Is a sealed box the way to go with this driver?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sounds great,after PEQ ...and a few tweaks...reference class bass. The QSC PL380 has enough juice to power the Acoupower with one channel with ease.

Anyone who wonders if these ACoupower are worth the asking price...YOU BET THEY ARE.
Meh, you're just saying that cuz you own one.

Oh wait....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"CUZ" I own one,maybe CUZ I own a pair of Acoupower 18's.

Maybe because they are far better built than most products made off shore ,hmm? Maybe because they are more linear,are better designed and use far better quality parts? Just maybe Carlos decided to use better quality glues to bond the various parts? Hmm I do know,maybe because they plain sound better in the end and a have the pleasure of owning a driver most would love having if they could shell the moolah on these.

Maybe because I can power them with my choice of QSC PL380,Crown iTech6000 or Krell FPB600...I do not know just maybe I use better amplification on a dedicated line not limited to a mere 15AMPS.

:wave:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Acoupower is superior to a Melstrom-X,from built quality,materials ...in a league few drivers match(clearly one step above). From a performance angle,I would say the Maelstrom-X is close in SQ(both in close to optimal cabinet with PEQ applied,to obtain a very similar flat response).

My Maelstrom-X reside each in its 4.5cu ft cabinets and the Acoupower 18 each in a 9.5 cu ft cabinet.Roughly twice the cabinet size.

Power wise the Acoupower is a single 8 Ohm VC ,so your amp better deliver into a 8 Ohm load.The dual VC Maelstrom-X can and should be wires to present a 4 Ohm load.

The EP2500 is ok for a Maelstrom-X and on the thin side for the Acoupower.Here an amp capable of ~1500W into 8Ohms/channel would be what I call a better choice..

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you now have a sub or multiple subs using the LMS 18, RLP 18, Maelstrom 18, IXL 18, and Accoupower 18. With each one EQ'd relatively flat, realistically speaking, all hyperbole aside, are you even able to tell differences between them apart? If you gathered a group and did some blind listening testing, would it be easy to differentiate when a different sub is being used? And, if so, I'd have to imagine it's not one being much better than another, but rather one sounding slightly different than the other. Yes, no?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I would bet that at a moderate volume level they all sound relatively the same. As you go higher in output the drivers will start to differentiate more based on the distortion profiles, power compression, inductance, etc. The biggest differences being at the point where some of the drivers start to lose it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct,the drivers sound almost too close.Even the MJ-18`s sounds quite close to the LMS-Ultra/Acoupower units.

Only when pushing them,will the more linear and longer excursion of a LMS/Acoupower start to clearly show.

Not to say they sound exactly the same,they do not. But are close,very close.

·
Registered
136 Posts
"CUZ" I own one,maybe CUZ I own a pair of Acoupower 18's.

Maybe because they are far better built than most products made off shore ,hmm? Maybe because they are more linear,are better designed and use far better quality parts? Just maybe Carlos decided to use better quality glues to bond the various parts? Hmm I do know,maybe because they plain sound better in the end and a have the pleasure of owning a driver most would love having if they could shell the moolah on these.

Maybe because I can power them with my choice of QSC PL380,Crown iTech6000 or Krell FPB600...I do not know just maybe I use better amplification on a dedicated line not limited to a mere 15AMPS.

:wave:

Nah, doubt it :neener:

:hide:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well then . . . . . Arthur . . . . do you, after purchasing, handling, examining, building an enclosure for, installing, listening, bragging etc., . . . . do you have your own personal favorite?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Island1000,

Yes I do have a favorite,TC SOunds LMS-Ultra followed close by the Acoupower. The LMS-Ultra is simply TOP of the mountain.

I saw and inspected the RE XXX drivers they are LMS/Acoupower level but I would not exchange my LMS-Ultra for anything currently made or sold.

LMS-Ultra is the last word in sub drivers. It has it all , materials quality, built quality, impressive performance , power handling and even look terrific. The only downside, they are costly, buy the RE XXX and Acoupower are not budget either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very impresive.

I plan on consulting you for my sub build when the tim comes next year. I am in MTL as welll and would love to oggle your set up

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
t-grap,

Before Christmas this should not be a problem,as I will be home for two weeks.Before difficult as I work some ~70hours/week.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Arthur, beautiful work on your Acoupower build! Could I ask you how the Audiopulse Revo 15 compares to the LMS-Ultra and Acoupower? I have an unopened pair of them that I'm trying to decide whether I want keep or sell. Also not sure whether they would sound better with LLT or sealed enclosures. Thanks, Matt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts