Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eventually these will be complemented by a TC Sounds ported tc1000 sonotube. But I want to get these drivers put to work.

I'm trying out a some small sealed sonotubes to see how they sound. Lack of table saw and space make this the easiest option. The rockwool and sonotube are on their way so a weekend build may be possible. This experiment is a trial run for the TC Sounds sonosub I want to build.

drivers

I'm excited to say the least. I've had no sub for a month and it will be nice to get something below 100hz.

We'll see how it goes. I will take pictures of the build progress etc.

I've ordered the 14" tube from whitecap and the rockwool from ata-acoustics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Are the sonotubes going to be passive? Will you be using any EQ?

Sidenote...I noticed you bought your rockwool from ata-acoustics. Sometimes you can find a local insulation supplier that sells rockwool. I was able to find one in Boise, Idaho. Just a thought for future orders of rockwool. I think I bought a 5 or 6 pack of 2' x 4' sheets for 35 bucks.

Anyways have fun with the build.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a fun project. Are the sonotubes going to be passive? Will you be using any EQ?

Sidenote...I noticed you bought your rockwool from ata-acoustics. Sometimes you can find a local insulation supplier that sells rockwool. I was able to find one in Boise, Idaho. Just a thought for future orders of rockwool. I think I bought a 5 or 6 pack of 2' x 4' sheets for 35 bucks.

Anyways have fun with the build.
I've not got the space for 6 packs atm. Other wise I'd have gotten one from SPI.

Apartment living has it's downsides. When I have a shop you can be certain it will have a shelf for rockwool, Birch ply, and oak bracing. Oh the dreams.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So I got the drivers out of the old closet. As you can see they are old school, but still that nice JL Audio quality.

The sonotube came from whitecap as expected the shipping was tough on it though. I think I'll look harder locally next time.

This came just fine from ATA acoustics. I got the light flexible bat since I need to make it form into a circle rather than glue it on a wall.

I got the tube cut in half. I'll take some further pictures when I get the chance. My plan now is to cut the interior discs and use those to flush down the tubes to a cleaner cut. Once that's done I can make the outer plates and braces. I still need to pick up some burlap to secure the wool, but other than that supplies are good to go. I used a hand saw to cut the tube down. It's a good workout. to say the least.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used a hand saw to cut the tube down. It's a good workout. to say the least.
Just imagine how in shape you could get if you always used a hand saw when doing DIY speaker projects. This forum would turn into a bodybuilding hangout real quick :flex:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts