Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow! This is an impressive giveaway. I have the AV8801 and it is a wonderful beast. My work area needs a good front end and this would fit the bill very, very nicely.

For those that haven't checked out Marantz gear lately, they have some nice kit on the shelves. I love the pure direct mode and I'll be eventually taking advantage of the 4K TV features (pass through AND upscaling available) too. iPod integration is very nice and there's an app to turn your iPhone into a remote too (assuming you hook into the web with your pre pro.

Someone is going to be very, very happy when they find out they've won this!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Since I put myself in this great giveaway already I have a a question. Maybe this is not the right spot for this and I could maybe move it but doing some research on the avr 7701 and have a question. What kind of power or what source unit does marantz recommend to power through their avr7701. Do they recommend anything specific or one of their items? The pre/processor is somewhat new to me as I do not run one now and am trying to familiarize myself with them. Input, guidance and recommendations is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Most manufacturers will probably recommend their own matching amp, but I don't see a need for it unless you are especially keen to have everything in The cabinet matched. It would certainly be a great choice but any quality amplifier would be (in my mind) just as good. Consider the speakers you will be driving and the size of your room for power needs, and check out some options. I probably would stick with something that is intended for use in a high quality av setup (low noise floor, etc) but the brand matching itself isn't mandatory.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gotcha there. I am actually in the the process of working on changing up my system. Have been looking for and reviewing new receivers for about a month or so now so will be in a holding pattern on that to see how the give away goes but here is what I currently have. Fronts paradigm studio 20's. Working on replacing with the GR-Research MTM floor standing setup. Hopefully to be complete mid January. Current center is the paradigm center 1 to be replaced with the X-Voce. Rears are the older paradigm 370's. Not sure what I will do for a replacement want to go diy but haven't got that far yet. Current sub is a diy 12" with dual PR's components from PSI. Currently working on a dual 12" sealed enclosure about 3.7 cubic net replace that. That being said what would be a good option for an amp

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey, another great giveaway from the folks here at HTS! Love the Marantz stuff and this Pre/Pro is supposed to be a lot of bang for the buck. Excellent choice.
Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't think I qualify since I was away between early September and November (lots going on at work) but it looks like a sweet giveaway. Good luck to the winner.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Sonnie, on these giveaways how is the winner determined?
Do you put the names of the qualified people in a hat and pull out a winner, or do you evaluate each qualified entry and pick on merit?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The first thing I do is make sure everyone is qualified, which I normally do that as each member post in the qualification thread, and I delete them right then if they are not qualified. We have a mod/plugin that was built specifically for giveaways that randomly assigns each entry a number and then the winning number is drawn from a random number generator.

·
Registered
490 Posts
this will be an awesome unit for the lucky individual.i however am setting this giveaway out.im very happy with my current avr.good luck to all who do enter.:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since I put myself in this great giveaway already I have a a question. Maybe this is not the right spot for this and I could maybe move it but doing some research on the avr 7701 and have a question. What kind of power or what source unit does marantz recommend to power through their avr7701. Do they recommend anything specific or one of their items? The pre/processor is somewhat new to me as I do not run one now and am trying to familiarize myself with them. Input, guidance and recommendations is appreciated.
Seems I recall a thread in the not too distant past about evaluating power amps that got put on hold. The results of such a comparison might go a long way towards answering your question, and mine also. Any info on the status of the power amp comparison?

Mike

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If I win I'll have it get crack'n and pick up a 3 or 5ch amp with a 12v trigger. I've got a couple amps not in use right now a carver and a parasound but they can't be remote triggered. I'm thinking an XPA3 or the companion marantz amp.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I win I'll have it get crack'n and pick up a 3 or 5ch amp with a 12v trigger. I've got a couple amps not in use right now a carver and a parasound but they can't be remote triggered. I'm thinking an XPA3 or the companion marantz amp.
Why not buy a power strip like this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...ctor/5709672.p?id=1218686506521&skuId=5709672

I use one to turn on my pro amp for my subs. Receiver is plugged into the master outlet and pro amp is on one of the master controlled outlets. When I turn on the receiver it turns on the pro amp. Works great.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why not buy a power strip like this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketf...ctor/5709672.p?id=1218686506521&skuId=5709672

I use one to turn on my pro amp for my subs. Receiver is plugged into the master outlet and pro amp is on one of the master controlled outlets. When I turn on the receiver it turns on the pro amp. Works great.
I couldn't tell how many amps of current that power strip could handle. I assume 15amps? Nice looking power strip. I'm getting a similar one to control my dual fan setup to cool my current preamp.:T

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I know the switched/master power strips well, but I'd like to keep my Panamax 5300 and 4300 in the mix for now. Anyway it would be just the excuse I need to order a new amp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I built my own solid state relay in a box with surge protectors (MOV's) built in. I hooked it up to the switched 120 VAC out that used to be common in receivers. When the receiver turned on, the SS relay turned on, which powered on my sub. New receivers do not have switched outlets. So I will have to modify it to work with the trigger voltage available in some of the A/V receivers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: The Marantz AV7701 Giveaway Qualification Thread

I could really use this. Still have an SR5100 2-channel Marantz from the early 80's and it still is in use everyday. My denon has been repaired more times than I can recall, so a new preamp might just push me to add in the amp I really need. It would be a welcome addition to my rack. Thanks!

41 - 60 of 108 Posts