Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear all

not to seem like an idiot but i get very confused by bitstream vs PCM. which blu ray players decode what and then if they are passed to my processor are they passed as the true signal or converted.

I have a Samsung 1500 blu ray player feeding an NAD T175 processor( which at the moment does not decode the new codecs) and is then sent to a 500 series Phase Tech Darts system and a JVC RS 1x.

Does anyone know what happens to the DD plus and Dolby True HD that is decoded in the Samsung and is then sent to the NAD as the NAD reads it out as Neo Cinema 6?

thanks

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy mjpeck and welcome to the Shack!

Looking forward to seeing you around often... :T

Sonnie

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Doc, Welcome to the Shack!

You should post your question here as you will get more responses to it.
The quick responce is that keeping you Samsung set to output Bitstream is the setting you want. Dolby Digital+ is the same as Dolby Digital but has less compression its alot like DTS. If your not connected using HDMI to your receiver that is the best you will get and if your receiver does not suport DTS master audio or True HD you just need to make sure when you play a Blu Ray DVD to not select either of those options in the audio setup menu. These usually default to Dolby Digital

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome, Doc. I've been in this business for thirty years and I frequently run into things I don't understand. There is plenty of knowkedge to be shared here and I am sure you will find lots of help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts