Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sub is certainly getting my interest and to me it look as though it is using the same Ultra driver that is found in the PB/PC13, can anyone confirm if it is the one and the same?

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found all the info I need...silly me just checked the SVS website....

The hand-made SVS Plus-13 is an all new design using the basket from the famed SVS Ultra-13. US voice-coil, precision built ferrite motor, with one piece black glass/pulp top cone.

It’s all seamlessly mounted by SVS into our signature mid-sized cabinet design tailor-made for stacking. With an approx. 17” cube form-factor, and high-end touches like the magnetic perforated mesh grill and real wood or hand-polished gloss accent panels, this is the nuanced deep bass small sub that no brand has ever offered under $3-4K.

Generously borrowing parts and technology from our Ultra subs, the look and feel of the SB13-Plus will give pause to anyone poised to spend thousands more on some other brand. Those expensive boutique subs have been outclassed by this SVS sealed box. Size, power, looks, depth and accuracy like nothing else

Attachments

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SB13-Plus Features:

• SVS Plus-13 glass/paper cone, integrated gasket
• 1000 watt STA-1000D amp, “green” power supply
• CAD design, CNC cut, precision built cabinet
• Sealed, recessed driver, sublimated SVS logo print
• Compliant floor mounts, threaded/removable
• Assembled and tested exclusively by SVS Taiwan
• Heavy-duty detachable 8 foot power cord
• Hand-crafted wood veneer or gloss black finish
• Neo magnet grill retention, powder coat steel
• 17x17x18" cube, 95lbs/20Hz -150Hz ± 3dB

MSRP: $1699 Veneer or Gloss

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Very nice, I love the nice "small" footprint it has. Would do really nicely in a two channel system.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I wonder what kind of information the LCD display gives you? there must be some preset eq adjustments that you can select or even adjust.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder what kind of information the LCD display gives you? there must be some preset eq adjustments that you can select or even adjust.
Yep, well it is DSP controlled so I would of thought so, maybe an auto set up???

Edit: although it does not mention it at all in the Features list!

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got an email back from L Sounds and they told me the SB13+ will be available around September/October time, so not too long to wait :bigsmile:

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
It cant possibly use the same driver thats in the ported sub IMO, but thats another discussion :D

This is certainly a very interesting sub, and I reckon this driver is probably designed to be similar to the JL audio drivers we see in the Fathom. I think this is a direct shot at that market, and if the SVS pricing kicks in this should not only be a top performer, but a bargain to boot. I did read somewhere that considerations where being made to have some kind of inbuilt auto eq as an optional extra (possibly the SB16). That little LCD screen might just be a hint eh, and its certainly makes it one of the most interesting new subs of recent times.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It cant possibly use the same driver thats in the ported sub IMO, but thats another discussion :D

This is certainly a very interesting sub, and I reckon this driver is probably designed to be similar to the JL audio drivers we see in the Fathom. I think this is a direct shot at that market, and if the SVS pricing kicks in this should not only be a top performer, but a bargain to boot. I did read somewhere that considerations where being made to have some kind of inbuilt auto eq as an optional extra (possibly the SB16). That little LCD screen might just be a hint eh, and its certainly makes it one of the most interesting new subs of recent times.
Completely Agree Dan, and the SB13 could turn out to be there real star performer for the price and size !

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I just hope they have a little more consideration for music, which for you actually might not be an issue anyway. If they follow their trend of aiming low and clean (I think a sealed design will actually hinder that goal slightly using only 1 driver), then while it might be an super performer depth wise for sealed designs, I think this would make it a little to low focused to be the best it can be for music. For someone like yourself with super speakers anyway, this would actually be the better choice. Its certainly going to be interesting to see exactly where thy are going with it, and I'm gonna put my money on their goal being to reduce the size of the PB13 while giving as little as possible on performance. This driver will likely have more motor strength, and will need more power to use that strength in a smaller box, so will need more power handling. It looks like an Ultra driver with a new motor, and the results are going to be incredibly interesting, not least as it will be a precursor to the SB16 should it become reality.

If I was to compare this driver to the AE drivers I use, then I would say his is the 'H' driver to the ported subs 'X' variant.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Looks like an exelent sub, and for the price and what i've been hearing about SVS i'd say they have a real winner on there hands :T.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just hope they have a little more consideration for music, which for you actually might not be an issue anyway. If they follow their trend of aiming low and clean (I think a sealed design will actually hinder that goal slightly using only 1 driver), then while it might be an super performer depth wise for sealed designs, I think this would make it a little to low focused to be the best it can be for music. For someone like yourself with super speakers anyway, this would actually be the better choice. Its certainly going to be interesting to see exactly where thy are going with it, and I'm gonna put my money on their goal being to reduce the size of the PB13 while giving as little as possible on performance. This driver will likely have more motor strength, and will need more power to use that strength in a smaller box, so will need more power handling. It looks like an Ultra driver with a new motor, and the results are going to be incredibly interesting, not least as it will be a precursor to the SB16 should it become reality.

If I was to compare this driver to the AE drivers I use, then I would say his is the 'H' driver to the ported subs 'X' variant.
Yep, I do not use a sub for music it is only used for films so music is a delight to listen to and adding a sub would just ruin it, I have always hated subs for 2 channel Hi-Fi and it looks like it will stay that way, the only sub I believe that was really good for music was the Wilson Benesch Torus.

Looks like an exelent sub, and for the price and what i've been hearing about SVS i'd say they have a real winner on there hands :T.
It certainly does Bambino :T I think it will open up SVS to new customers with this new range of subs.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Have you heard the Ultra John, given your goals and the speakers you have, I think it would be the perfect sub for you personally. Very low clean sound that doesnt add much to the speakers sound at all, but makes everything move just the way it should for effects in movies. If you've never heard one, you should seriously consider it.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the PB13Ultra when it first came out, but for just pure 2 channel the ProAcs dig really deep with a SQ that is sublime so I prefer not to use one.

I would not accommodate another larger sub again so it looks like it will have to be high performance sealed subs, SVS new SB subs, JL Audio something along them lines

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Its a shame the size is off putting. The Ultra wont hold a candle to the speakers for music but for movies it would deliver exactly what your after. The SB13 could be the answer if it follows suit with the usual SVS philosophy, and aims to go as low and clean as possible, I think a sub with such a focus would be the perfect match for your system, especially the speakers.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
The basket and cone/surround are shared with the Ultra 13 woofer, but the remainder of the 13 Plus woofer (motor/VC/suspension) is customized for this application and is completely different than the Ultra 13.

Our design philosophy WRT FR and roll-off profile on the new line of sealed box (SB) subs is quite different than for the bass reflex line-up. We're tailoring the response of each SB to integrate as seamlessly as possible with the room transfer function for an accurate in-room response, and we're offering plenty of tools in the menu for the user to further optimize as needed.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts