1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think Bossobass on AVS used the 5050 and had a lot of issues with it; I think it caught fire once.

He's used the 4050 (smaller model) and has 0 issues with it at all.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's a Crest CA-18 knockoff. Not as good as the Crest from looking at the caps and internals, but for the price it should be solid. I wouldn't call this a EP2500 replacement. It's more expensive and should replace 2 of the Behringers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I certainly didn't mean to imply that it would replace the EP2500. It costs right about twice as much and has the potential to deliver right about 2x the power. If it delivers on the bench... it has about the same "bang for the buck" ratio as the EP2500.. but a better fit for those power hungry drivers.

I did skim through Bossobass's thread over at AVS. As of a couple of days ago he was still using his MA-5050 and I didn't see anything mentioned about overheating or catching on fire. He did mention that Marothon recommended a 20 amp line for this amp. Seems kindof restrictive.

Allan

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'll have to re-read it (not now, I need to get stuff done), but I thought he switched over to the 4050 from the 5050 due to reliability issues.

But from what he did measure, it went flat to something like 4-5hz, which is awesome. Fan modding would be a must though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to re-read it (not now, I need to get stuff done), but I thought he switched over to the 4050 from the 5050 due to reliability issues.

But from what he did measure, it went flat to something like 4-5hz, which is awesome. Fan modding would be a must though.
The nerve of some people.. getting actual work done btw the hours of 9-5 :innocent:

I skimmed through the thread pretty quickly but I do recall that he was surprized by how "variable" the fans really were. Not sure if he commented on their overall level though.

I was admiring the price of the MA-4050 via the link above. A good number of the amps in that series could be great buys.

Allan

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think Bossobass on AVS used the 5050 and had a lot of issues with it; I think it caught fire once.

He's used the 4050 (smaller model) and has 0 issues with it at all.
I think it was the American Audio 5001 Bosso had trouble with.........his Marathon 5050 has been fine so far (as far as i know).:huh:

·
Registered
70 Posts
We don't know about most other people, but for years we've simply avoided American Audio for any serious (reliable) sound system.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you think a 4050 can come closer to meeting specs that an ep2500.

I am looking for a true 1000w/channel at 4ohm
To do what tweeter or sub duty? budget in mind? does the amp need to be reliable since gonna your bread and butter? true 1000 watts a side look at QSC MX3000A 1200 watts a side @ 4ohms tested and can do it all day.

·
Registered
449 Posts
To do what tweeter or sub duty? budget in mind? does the amp need to be reliable since gonna your bread and butter? true 1000 watts a side look at QSC MX3000A 1200 watts a side @ 4ohms tested and can do it all day.
woooow thats pricey. I obviously have a budget or I would not be considering the 4050.

the 550-600 it goes for is a budget stretch

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you think a 4050 can come closer to meeting specs that an ep2500.

I am looking for a true 1000w/channel at 4ohm
I still haven't seen any third party testing on this unit....so it's anybody's guess. Seems to have a pretty solid build and I confirmed with Bossobass that it was working and holding up pretty well for him.

·
Registered
132 Posts
woooow thats pricey. I obviously have a budget or I would not be considering the 4050.

the 550-600 it goes for is a budget stretch
Used about 700-800$ US not too bad for a good quality amplifier that as a proven performance(got mine for 500$ Can. was extremely lucky), this is why i asked you if that gonna be your bread and butter(the show must go on) or just a home theater.

Other amp to consider Crown CE4000 about 500-700 used really good amp, or you can always get two Behringer EP2000 and bridged them will get you about 1000 watts RMS each @ 4ohms, it all depends how you gonna used them for a live gig the Behringer will probably go thermal which is really embarrassing but home use will not be a problem and would be cheap. Even a used QSC RMX4050HD would be in the price range if you are patient and you do not need to roll the dice on reliability record :T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts