Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
141 - 158 of 158 Posts
Just back from RMAF, where I hoped to hear some Vandersteen 2Ce's so I could give an update on my earlier impressions in this thread (post #9). Unfortunately, they did not have the 2Ce's there, but they did have rooms with model 5's and model 7's, and they sounded wonderful. Of course they are the high-end models of the Vandersteen line, but they represented the company's capabilities impressively.

So the real purpose of this post is to say that having heard the Vandersteen models at RMAF, and having had recent experience directly comparing image stability of a tower speaker sitting on carpet to that of the same tower on anchoring spikes on carpet, there is no doubt in my mind that the 2Ce's would have sounded better had we removed them from the wheeled carts and properly anchored them.

Live and learn. This is not an apology, but an acknowledgement that we - HTS's evaluation team and reviewers - are human, and our assurance that when we realize a mistake we will do our best to correct it. And that we are dedicated to continually grow our skills so we can offer HTS readers the highest quality reviews and evaluations possible.

Discussion starter · #142 ·
Your observations coupled with most likely a lack of power on a lower sensitivity speaker... the combination could be seriously unfavorable for the speaker. While granted the speakers at the show were on up the scale, they were certainly not indicative of what we heard during the evaluation.

Man, this is all so awesome a job that you guys have done with the evaluations. So much care into making it a level playing field considering the room, amps, cables, genre of music, etc. Way kewl.... just wish I could afford whatever wins.. as a music/sound buff and sound tech.. I am way to poor to afford anything close to any of these but it is nice to know what wins in the end, to know what to shoot for. I can still dream.
I love to win too...

I have not kept up with this thread so I hope this is not old news. I was just looking at the HTD website and found this statement.

"This item is currently unavailable. We are actively addressing an issue discovered with our latest production of Level THREE tweeters. We hope to have this issue corrected shortly."

Yep, old news. That message was a result of our findings then their looking into it. AudiocRaver has a thread for a review of another pair to give them an evaluation with a good pair.

Matter of interest where would the Proac Tablette Anniversary fit in for reviews?

Would really like to see reviews on bookshelf's/monitors.
You are in luck - there is discussion already underway. Take a look at the unofficial bookshelf suggestion thread...

fun read. Im New here and was thinking Level 3 in my set up but now I will need to do more research on the Arx A5.

It will be 100% use in the Watching Film ...so I need to see what fits best as a whole with both floor speakers and center combined.

I have always found Vandersteen's to sound best when facing directly forward having your ear placed 30 degrees off axis essentially. With your excessive toe in they will sound rather beamy and their naturally large sound stage will be lost. Also forgetting the fact they were placed on casters is not as big of a deal as if you did not tilt them back correctly (I do not remember seeing you mention about their tilt). They are a time and phase aligned speaker and your ear needs to be in the proper window. Most all other speakers except Thiel don't necessarily need to be tilted. Perhaps this was not the result of giving up to early, but rather just missing an extra step that time and phase aligned speakers need. I am a dealer for Klipsch, Magnepan, Vandersteen, KEF, and others. Vandersteen's do need to be setup correctly, however, when they are they will do magic. Don't give up on them yet. Thanks. Paul.

Actually, we did start with them positioned parallel to the front wall and tried many orientations. The one we ended up with was where we got the best soundstage. I am also quite familiar with the Vandersteens and was hoping for more out of them. The sad reality is that the others speakers just outperformed them in many ways. We did not give up on them. On the contrary, we spend probably more time on getting them into the best position than anything other than the Magnepans.

I pretty much agree, as I own the RF/RC-62 series. I also own BIC FH-6Ts and FHC-LCR center, both do about as well for the two types of listening I do, Jazz and Movies, two very different forums. The two way horn design although antithetical to PWK gospel has worked out pretty well. Originally the RF-62's replaced a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's, which now live in the cat's room (a large room he shares with us), the 62's were promoted to living room use, which is about 30' x 20' and they handle a non corner placement very well.

Personally I like the RF-62's they are very livable and just plain agreeable, even to the GF's occasional head banger stuff. The BIC's are really pretty close in performance and because they cost so much less we also bought a subwoofer, the results are impressive. Both Klipsch and BIC have a following in the theater and PA business so efficient systems with a good sound stage are no surprise. It's funny, when I bought my Chorus II's they were around $1800 a pair and the RF/RC-62 system puts it to shame, not suffering from the horn malady, the BIC system also a horn loaded, two way system also put the Chorus II's to shame. I hate to say it, but long live the current Klipsch design team and all who steal ideas from them.:D

141 - 158 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.