Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another vote for the Vandersteen's. For two channel they should do very well but in this price range you have some interesting competition.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I voted for the HTD Level 3. Mainly because I own the Level 3 bookshelves and Level 3 center channel speaker and they sound fantastic. I can only imagine that the towers are even more impressive. Although you would get them in black, the finish of my dark cherry bookshelves is really beautiful. Top notch Kapton ribbon tweeter as well, which have great resolution and brilliancy without being fatiguing at loud listening levels, as well as very wide horizontal dispersion. I suspect the Arx A5 could be similar, but I have not heard it or the other speakers on the list. I do know that I have been extremely satisfied with my HTD Level 3 bookshelves. Sounds like a fun time will be had evaluating all of those.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think it will come down to the Klipsch and the Martin Logans...I chose the Logans to pull it out in the end..I have heard these pushed to the limits and was truly amazed by the rich, robust sound, especially for the money!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I voted for the Maggies.

Tough call though... if this were for HT I would not have voted that way but since this is 2 channel (I assume all music?) that pushed me towards Magnepan.

I haven't heard this model before but I used to own the MMG's and IMO they were one of the best deals in audio for only 600 for the pair. Now, I used them with subs of course because the bass is lacking. But the highs and the soundstage was great for such a cheap speaker.

I have since moved on to a high effeciency speaker (JTR Noesis 212's) and they are better than the Maggies in every way and it's not close but they should be considering the price.

Back to your comparison. I assume no subs will be used? If that's the case the Maggies have much less of a chance and I'm sure you know this already but Magnepans are so picky when it comes to placement. In my room I had to have them a minimum of 3 feet from the front wall and 4 feet was even better.

Great idea, love the thread and I'll stay tuned for this for sure. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I picked Tekton Model Lore for several reasons.

Because of the drivers employed, Tekton is likely the most efficient speaker of the bunch, the Klipsch being second. (I have recent Klipsch experience. Klipsch overstates sensitivity by 4-6 dB.) Sensitivity is critical because speakers tend to audibly thermal limit well below their maximum rated "RMS" input power. Some including myself specify 1/10th the RMS figure as the "1 dB dynamic compression" point. Even though speakers in this price category might typically safely handle "100Wrms" input power, they tend to audibly clip musical peaks beyond 1/10th their RMS power rating.

Check the sensitivity specs and do the math (subtract 4-6 dB from Klipsch's ridiculous spec). Manufacturers routinely over state sensitivity because it's a critical spec that largely determines overall performance. Check the speaker's acoustic output at 1/10th it's maximum RMS power rating.

The room volume is larger than average for music reproduction (volume is three dimensions, simple floor area is only two dimensions and misleading). The larger the room volume the greater is weighting for sensitivity.

Unfortunately Tekton does not allow on-site visitors to hear their speakers, or I would have by now (I live only minutes away from them). In fact they did not reply to my email, and same for another person who emailed them. Even though I've not heard them, one person whose opinion I highly respect loves his Tektons (owned two models). Also, a professional reviewer (Andrew Robinson IIRC) favorably compared Tekton's $2500 flag ship to Wilson's $75k model.

I predict Tekton by good margin. I'm "long" on Tekton.

Sorry I missed it in the setup if it's there: How closely will you match SPL and by what method? This is critical when comparing speakers, and fail if levels are not matched within tight window. I can't recall the maximum window height, but it might be as small as .1 dB. Humans almost always and immediately identify louder as better in such comparisons.

Thinking more about this, maybe I should shut up. The Tekton is the loudest of the bunch, so if you don't control for gain the Tekton should be a shoe-in!

I heard and loved ML's smaller/smallest Motion series with Heil's folded ribbon tweeter (similar to the Arx tweeter). Later I heard a floor standing Motion tower at CES, and preferred the much smaller Motion. It's not uncommon to prefer the same company's smaller speaker over a similar larger model.

BTW, as a "Scripturalist," one of the joys of this website is never seeing any form of the Savior's name used in vain. It's funny how other web sites encourage such misuse while disallowing other forms of alleged "hate" speech.

·
Registered
976 Posts
ARX5, truly an amazing speaker, used in both HT and stereo (two channel) listening, I'm from the camp that a good speaker should sound good in either application, I don't believe tha ARX5 was designed to be used in either application, it is just that good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ARX5, truly an amazing speaker, used in both HT and stereo (two channel) listening, I'm from the camp that a good speaker should sound good in either application, I don't believe tha ARX5 was designed to be used in either application, it is just that good.
Agreed, that's why I ended up selling my Magnepans. Not that they didn't sound good for HT, but they lacked dynamics that's for sure.

I assumed he was just comparing music - if it's HT too, I would have voted differently.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I voted for the Klipsch. After setting up close to 100 HT's, The big maggies, although wonderful with music just are not great at higher volume dynamics that are needed for an HT. I've setup systems when the owners dropped the maggies upon hearing a proper HE speaker in a HT setting.
Klipsch seem to get a bad rap for being to harsh and seem to get looked over because of it but I think they will be the best of the bunch for outright dynamic punch for the movies, though I haven't heard every set of the speakers, I have heard so many types, you can't keep score. Nothing beats a good HE speaker in a HT setting.
I run a full JTR setup and just knowing how much better eve my T12's at the time were better than my Paradimg sig 8's were was amazing, I personally will never own a non HE speaker in my HT again.

If for some reason I won a set, I'd like Sonnie to donate the speakers to a good local charity, kids center or some place that someone could maybe get interested in our awesome hobby.
Very interesting, and very OT. This is a music playback only contest, not HT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well,
I would like to ask one question. I don't think i saw it anywhere here. What type or types of music do you listen to ? This would possibly affect your choice of speakers .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice, Klipsch took the lead =^)
Correctly voting for/predicting the winner in the upcoming neutral speaker comparison qualifies the voter as a potential winner of a $500 raffle. Specifically, the more a voter views this as a popularity poll the less likely are they to pick the winner, and hence disqualify his/her self from a chance to win $500.

This means: the less knowledge one has about all the contestants the greater is the likelihood one will miss the winner and disqualify one self from the $500 raffle.

It's absolutely no coincidence that the two companies with the largest ad budget are 1-2 in polling. Voters are apparently voting as if this is a popularity contest.

And that's fine by me!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well,
I would like to ask one question. I don't think i saw it anywhere here. What type or types of music do you listen to ? This would possibly affect your choice of speakers .
Oooooohhhhhh, very sharp question, and one I did not consider....anxiously awaiting reply!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ha, after lurking for years, here is my first post I think...

I voted for the tektons. I have even pining or a set for a long time and based on the research I have on, I anticipate them having a good howitzer in this price range. Looking forward to "hearing" what the panel thinks...

Have fun!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Correctly voting for/predicting the winner in the upcoming neutral speaker comparison qualifies the voter as a potential winner of a $500 raffle. Specifically, the more a voter views this as a popularity poll the less likely are they to pick the winner, and hence disqualify his/her self from a chance to win $500.

This means: the less knowledge one has about all the contestants the greater is the likelihood one will miss the winner and disqualify one self from the $500 raffle.

It's absolutely no coincidence that the two companies with the largest ad budget are 1-2 in polling. Voters are apparently voting as if this is a popularity contest.

And that's fine by me!
+1111111 Obviously the the two top votes are the most sold speaker, how many models in their line do they have, one can only guess. Coincidence, I don't think so. Sorry I don't want to get off topic but some of the other brands have a limited line and not much exposure except user and rare pro reviews.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
While I have no Experiance with any of the speakers in this evaluation from what I have read the inverted Beryllium dome of the Focal is to die for. I realize these are not the same tweeters but do utilize the inverted design, this is the only reason that I voted for them. I did a little research on the others also but these Focals stood out in my mind for some reason. Maybe it's just a branding thing. Idk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Vandersteen Audio is an often overlooked Tour de force that IMO excels with their "out of the box" design elements. Therefor my vote goes to the 2Ce.

·
Registered
29 Posts

And that's fine by me!
It's all just a guess anyways. I chose Klipsch because that's what I have. Unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to listen to any others, but I love the speakers. It's all going to come down to preference anyways, so anybody's guess is as good as anybody else's.

61 - 80 of 376 Posts