Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the Magnepans will fit the bill quite nicely for 2 channel music listening. They'll also be unobtrusive when you fire up the theater, visually and audibly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Voted for the "Maggies". Not that I know about these things.... But the novelty of them seems to make sense to me. More than other novelties I've seen, anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going to wild guess this one, as my Hi-Fi budget is not what is used to be, and has wondered over to the live music production end of the GAS spectrum. GAS that's GEAR AQUISITION SYNDROM for newbies.
Once bitten, Twice taken back baby.
But my tastes for sizzle in the mid through highs, but not harsh or strained to get there, I love the ribbons, & electrostatics, anything that gives the music air, breath, tonal separation in the mids and highs. Probably because of a punctured ear drum at an early age, but Tympanoplasty surgery does sometimes work, or somewhat. But it works in my case although a hearing test would reveal a slightly humped gragh, say toward the speak freqs. Ok done with health class.

But I just lean toward that crispy vocal band and the open sound stage in the middle that leans me toward the HTD Level THREE's as my bet for the winner. That is why I say guess, I don't get to buy goodies in the 10 Grants area much, unless it's paying a bill down the road.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Why the wait until November to tell us the results ? That.seems to take the excitement right out of the shootout .
Yeah... you are right. We may bump that up to September or so. I wanted to give plenty of time for voting, but I do think we need to release the results sooner. I will change it to TBA and we will talk about it among the panel, since we all may have something to write.

Besides following the placement guideline what will you do to the existing room acoustic treatments? Will your graphs also include ETC charts?
You can look at the room layout in the first post and see the acoustic panels indicated in brown (other than the ceiling). I have panels on all walls, three each on the side walls, ceiling ... and will add corner traps up front from floor to ceiling, which GIK is shipping this week. I do not have any diffusion, as the room is treated more so for home theater... and MartinLogans as close to the wall as mine are, really need absorption rather than diffusion (according to the ML gurus who have tested it). If I could get them on out into the room, it might be different, but I can't due to the width of the screen. Of course the theater part sounds pretty incredible as it is.

With the evaluation speakers as far out into the room as they will be, I don't think boundaries will be a major concern, but this is not something I understand that well. I am not all that familiar with ETC graphs either, but I think Wayne understands most all of the acoustic stuff, so I will defer that portion to him.

---

On another note... I have 4 pairs of speakers hooked up now breaking them in all at the same time. 3 pair are hooked to my Denon 4520 and the other pair on one of the tube amps.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I wish I could come and listen to all these speakers, would be great to listen to that many in the same price range in a great room!

I chose the Focals only because I'm more familiar with their sound and most of the models I've listened to sounded great within their price ranges. They have a great reputation for making some awesome speakers (many out of range for most of us to afford).

·
Registered
652 Posts
I voted vandersteens. I'm hoping sonnie likes them to! Lol! Never been a big fan of klipsch speakers either and I'm sure I'm in the minority there but the Martin Logan's and focals would also be high on my list. Never heard the arx or htd speakers so couldn't vote for them. Quality of the components on both vandersteen and focal speakers are top notch. I like a more laid back sound anyways and I think the vandersteens achieve that in spades. I'm not in to extremely bright and in your face sounding speakers and vandersteens have a real easy going way about them. Not sure if that makes sense to anybody or not but that's my take.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I voted vandersteens. I'm hoping sonnie likes them to! Lol! Never been a big fan of klipsch speakers either and I'm sure I'm in the minority there but the Martin Logan's and focals would also be high on my list. Never heard the arx or htd speakers so couldn't vote for them. Quality of the components on both vandersteen and focal speakers are top notch. I like a more laid back sound anyways and I think the vandersteens achieve that in spades. I'm not in to extremely bright and in your face sounding speakers and vandersteens have a real easy going way about them. Not sure if that makes sense to anybody or not but that's my take.
You are a very good candidate for Magnepan, you like a more laid back sound that's what you did say RIGHT.:clap:

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'm curious to know why PSB wasn't included in this mix. Few speakers can match their dynamics and linearity sounding good in both low and high level SPL .

If these speakers are two be used in a dual purpose role, ie HT and 2 channel, it will be a toss up between the Focals and the Tektons. If its strictly 2 channel, then the Vandies get my vote :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sonnie, that is a serious weekend you have ahead of you! I am definitely jealous of all the gear you get to audition, and the full-on audio weekend you have set up.

I think I'm going to choose the Focal Chorus 716V for you... I just have a good feeling about them. And I might be slightly swayed by how in awe I was of the Grande Utopias when I saw them at an audio show here a few years ago. I was torn between these and the Maggies, but I think that these will work better in your situation and will be easier to tuck away. Also, with those Maggies, if you do like them, it will only be a matter of time before you give in and upgrade to the full size. I think that is inevitable.

Good luck, have fun, and I hope you find a winner!

Edit: Hey, my vote tied the Focal with the Klipsch! (I replied and voted before I read other peoples' thoughts)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm curious to know why PSB wasn't included in this mix. Few speakers can match their dynamics and linearity sounding good in both low and high level SPL .

If these speakers are two be used in a dual purpose role, ie HT and 2 channel, it will be a toss up between the Focals and the Tektons. If its strictly 2 channel, then the Vandies get my vote :)
The answer to you're question was already asked and responded POST- 45

MrAcoustat wrote: View Posts - 3 - 40 - 45 - just wanted to be SURE
Hi Sonnie sorry for asking again but i want to know it is VERY important to me, will your testing be for a 2 channel setup or home theater. thank's

Answer: Two-channel ... strictly 2-channel.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/69247-official-1-000-speaker-evaluation-home-audition-event-5.html#ixzz2cQ5pdl6o

·
Registered
94 Posts
I predict the Martin Logans. “What does he do, Clarice? What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing? He covets. How do we begin to covet? We begin by coveting what we see every day.” Dr. Hannibal Lecter

·
Registered
81 Posts
I predict the Martin Logans. “What does he do, Clarice? What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing? He covets. How do we begin to covet? We begin by coveting what we see every day.” Dr. Hannibal Lecter
Come on Jeff, making a prediction after 273 votes are in, is not very fair.:)

·
Registered
652 Posts
You are a very good candidate for Magnepan, you like a more laid back sound that's what you did say RIGHT.:clap:
I've only heard Maggie's once and it's been several years. It's possible when I listened to them my taste in sound was a bit different. That's maybe the reason they didn't stick out in my mind. I may have to revisit the Maggie's in the near future. Until then, got to stick with the vandersteens. Lol

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've only heard Maggie's once and it's been several years. It's possible when I listened to them my taste in sound was a bit different. That's maybe the reason they didn't stick out in my mind. I may have to revisit the Maggie's in the near future. Until then, got to stick with the vandersteens. Lol
Panels are NOT for everyone, BUT 95% of those that do like them will never go back to boxes, i have been an audiophile for more than 40 years and with Acoustat electrostatics for the last 30 of those years, one thing is certain i will leave this world BEFORE my Acoustats.:wave:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My vote goes for Vandersteen 2Ce. Shopping for my first speakers back in 1988 with about a grand to spend I narrowed my choice down to the Vandersteens and a pair of 3A MMs.I bought the 3As MMs ,but now that the 3A cost about 3 grand and the Vandersteens still cost the same,...I'd probably go for the Vandersteens today.

101 - 120 of 376 Posts